Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Garrett_DirSec
Advisor
Jump to solution

migration solution for MaaS (available tool or support procedure)

migration solution for MaaS (available tool or support procedure)

Hey CP Folks --  The topic of MaaS is being raised with numerous existing accounts.

Does a "mechanism" exist today that allows on-premise SmartCenter customer migrate to MaaS?
This may not be a end-user tool but rather something involving support, etc. 

Since there's not an exact 1:1 match of all features of on-premise SmartCenter vs MaaS, I would expect such a solution would include a "report" that would detail what "did not migrate...". 

If this mechanism is not readily available today, WHEN will it be?    The ongoing MaaS dialog in field (often driven by CP badges) may be pre-mature.

advise and thanks!  -GA
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anat_Eytan-Davi
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

You are all invited to check the Admin Guide.

There are no specific requirements for the source management version - it does need to be a SmartCenter.

As part of the migration process, we are running validations - I hear and understand your points and we will add more information both in the admin guide and integrated into the portal.

meanwhile and until the functionality is back in the portal, I'm inviting you to reach out if you want to migrate an on-prem environment to Management as a Service.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Daniel_Taney
Advisor

I haven't tried this yet myself, but if you go to Settings -> Migrate in the MaaS portal, there are basic instructions to download the maas export tool and run it from the Management server you want to migrate. 

The process looks very straightforward, but as you pointed out, there isn't a complete 1:1 match in features, so I don't know how it would handle that. 

R80 CCSA / CCSE
Garrett_DirSec
Advisor
thanks for quick reply.     I would love to hear about someone testing this with a larger -- and older -- smartcenter environment.  

I don't see any "recommended" SOURCE platform details.    example:   "please insure on-premise SmartCenter is rev R80.30 with JHA #111 or later.  please insure Mgmt HA is disabled, etc...etc"     
Not seeing caveats and requirements makes me nervous and raises the high likelihood migration tool will cough out wrench and support angst will commence. 
In addition, I really (!!) hope the results of migration tool includes report on what specifically is NOT migrated so it's clear for everyone involved.

Examples:    what  if customer has SMB devices (1400-/1500-series), SmartEvent, CP EDGE device (SD-WAN), updatable objects, etc.    I would hope that migration tool would produce warnings clearly spelling out modules not supported. 

0 Kudos
Daniel_Taney
Advisor

Agreed -- I believe I saw a minimum requirement for Gateways to be managed somewhere... which I believe was varying levels of JHFA for R80.X releases, but I don't think I've seen one for specifically referencing Management. 

My guess the predictable recommendation would be "latest" 😀

R80 CCSA / CCSE
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

We have a migration tool and it's mentioned in the Admin Guide. At the moment, it is temporary not available as we recently moved to R80.40 and haven’t released this option in the portal yet. It's expected soon. We can also do it offline as well.

@Anat_Eytan-Davi 

0 Kudos
Anat_Eytan-Davi
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

You are all invited to check the Admin Guide.

There are no specific requirements for the source management version - it does need to be a SmartCenter.

As part of the migration process, we are running validations - I hear and understand your points and we will add more information both in the admin guide and integrated into the portal.

meanwhile and until the functionality is back in the portal, I'm inviting you to reach out if you want to migrate an on-prem environment to Management as a Service.

Garrett_DirSec
Advisor

thanks @Anat_Eytan-Davi !!   we appreciate the insight.  

0 Kudos
JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

What about MDS support ?

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
0 Kudos
Anat_Eytan-Davi
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

With Management as a Service, a customer can manage several accounts in parallel (just register as a new customer with the same email address, and in the portal, you will be able to easily navigate between the accounts).

It can be a use-case for a Partner/MSSP to manage their customers or for a large customer with multiple environments.

The option to use global rules/objects/policies or share them between different accounts is currently not supported and we are planning in the roadmap to support it as well.

Anat.

Garrett_DirSec
Advisor

thanks @Anat_Eytan-Davi .   great info. 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events