Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Propose your Idea of the Year!

Yes, this is this time of year, again. 

Same as one year ago, we turn to the community and ask you, good folks, to propose the idea of the year. Or, better:

The Idea Of The Year!

The rules are the same as beforeit is about ideas that you wish Check Point would develop into a product/service offering, or improvements to existing ones.

Do you think we miss something important or we should consider to expand our product portfolio, feature set, functionalities, get to a completely new playground, change the rules of the game? 

Tell us NOW!

A few disclaimers/notes:

• There are no guarantees that any idea suggested will be developed, even the "Idea Of The Year",
  • From the suggestions below, we will choose 3-5 ideas which will be put up for voting later on,
  • Preference will be given to ideas that come from customers and partners, though employees are welcome to participate as well. 
  • "Likes" and "discussion" around specific ideas will influence (but not wholly determine) the final list, so if you like something someone has suggested, let it be known!

@Dorit_Dor and R&D leaders will choose the best ideas, and if you win, you will get a prize! What prize? We will tell you later.

Get creative, use your imagination and PROPOSE!

75 Replies
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

split screen is available since R80 using either:

a. the undock button at the log view

b. the web-based log viewer at https://<your Security Management Server IP>/SmartView - since R80.20 there have been major gap closures of the web log viewer comparing to the one that resides within SmartConsole.

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thanks @Tomer_Sole , but I was talking about simply using another tab without the need to switch between policies and logs.

The options you are describing are nice too and there is a use case for all of these options.

I.e. when working on a laptop, the screen space is limited so either we have to toggle between undocked apps or use tabs, if those could be universal.

0 Kudos
Silvan_Nyambu
Participant

Add Load sharing (Unicast mode) on R80.20 versions and above.

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

VSX: Possibility to route to Null/Loopback in VS topology like in a physical gateway. 

0 Kudos
Tommy_Forrest
Advisor

Make the firewall data available in PRO support options available in Smart Dashboard.  WITHOUT the need for an extra subscription cost.

0 Kudos
Kim_Moberg
Advisor

Hi @Tommy_Forrest 

I do also agree.

the idea with Check Point PRO support is good. Being proative and auto create a TAC if any incidents happens with the hardware.

But I am afraid it is now two to systems in keep track of and it is always raising flags for something which is recommended described in SK. For example for for R80.10 GA running with fwha_forw_packet_to_not_active=1. this was not recommended but the SK required it to be active.

Best Regards
Kim
0 Kudos
Tommy_Forrest
Advisor

@Kim_Moberg  - I get the idea of PRO support.  And it's a cool idea and the whole auto TAC thing on hardware is great and all.

But I'd like away to see things like session state tables are full and other similar performance impacting issues to show up in Dashboard and not requiring an additional subscription.

I think having that data would help your customers and may even reduce TAC calls (or maybe induces some, I don't know).  For us, as an example, we had a system that was having intermittent slowness issues.  We'd looked everywhere.  Networking, vendor hardware, our hardware, we poked around the firewalls to see if there were any issues.  We then got a demo period into PRO and I quickly found it was a session state table issue.  The value had been manually set instead of auto.  Set it to auto and no one has complained since.  Had we known or been able to know this from the beginning it would have been one less bullet point towards consideration of other vendor firewall offerings.

0 Kudos
Gomboragchaa
Advisor

1. MAC address filtering and MAC address based Rule.

2. Device detection. Detect Device OS, type etc... In future maybe we can create Policy by device type.

3. Web based Smart Console. As we know SmartView has the web access.

4. 3 more ISP support

0 Kudos
Kannan_R
Participant

Some of these enhancements have already been discussed multiple times in the community and I'm still stressing it. Hope I'm not repeating any of the existing feature.

** As @Danny suggested, Packet tracer feature with good visualization
** Packet capture (tcpdump) feature in Smartconsole
** MacOS and Android OS support for Threatemulation.
** Threat hunting or EPA can include Vulnerability assessment feature
** VPN-domain per VPN-community.
** Unified upgrade for firewalls in HA. For example, When we download OS/hotfix on primary, it can get sync'ed to other firewalls in the cluster. And then, the ability to install/upgrade HF/OS in the cluster environment with single/minimal clicks from primary firewall
** Logs can be enhanced with additional fields (destination interface - just to ensure routing is correct, TCP session end reason: How the TCP session was closed [because of timeout or TCP fin packet or RST packet or any other] as it helps to troubleshoot a lot]
** Live threatmap (Like in Palo Alto firewall, threatmap shows the source country of live threats hitting the corresponding firewall)
** Release notes can be made available in GUI as a link to see the new features & fixes as well as the known limitations before upgrading/installing version/hotfix.
** Importing objects in Smartconsole
** Smartconsole auto-update
** Considering the increased focus in automation, more scripts can be added to scripts repository by default. This way, we can avoid enforcing the customers to learn scripting to do tasks to a certain level.
** cpview in smartconsole
** backup & restore of mgmt server from smartconsole
** Enhancements for ClusterXL Load Sharing
** Simplify DHCP relay config (when we enable it, it should automatically create rules accordingly) as we need to configure rules manually now
** Simplified VPN configuration with wizard (Right now, we need to jump to multiple places to configure one VPN tunnel)
** Download option can be made available for the outputs of the task executed by the scripts in script repository as most of the available scripts now are show commands only.
** Support for SMTP authentication for Sendmail. This will help us to send mail alerts in the environments which doesn't support anonymous mail without authentication.
** One of the pain point for many customers is disk getting full with logs. To overcome this, log settings configuration in SmartConsole can be enhanced (such as retention duration based on days and scheduling logs transfer to remote repositories via SCP,SFTP or tftp) without having to write scripts / use cron by the user.
** DNS Security feature (I believe it's in the pipeline)

Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Possibility to mute certain types of CPUSE updates on some of your systems. Let's say you have 10 clusters managed by your SMS and a new version of Smart Console comes out. Your client will call you to say that their 10 clusters need to be updated when in reality it's something it's the kind of update you would do only on your management.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Hainich
Collaborator

Hi,

it would be very nice to rename the colors as in R7x.X

In R7x.X i renamed some colors as DMZ or Internal or something else.

now i have to check other objects which color i have used. tags are fine for searching, but colors are better for human eyes.

0 Kudos
Dorit_Dor
Employee
Employee

Many things are or being done... 

MacOS Threatemulation. Vpn dommain per community is in r80.40. SmartConsole auto update is in works (Tomer commented about it in the past) 

etc 

Robert_Siimon
Explorer

Give customers opportunity to "decouple" management server side even more (like it is the case with separate log server), especially for larger installations - give them option to install management database into separate DB machine and provide good tuning guide in order to make DB "fly". Maybe with this move also support some other popular DB's in the future like Oracle, MSSQL, etc? Usually larger enterprises have their own DB servers and dedicated DBA teams who can tweak DB machines - thats why this idea is proposed.

Get rid of "fat" smartconsole client finally and move it to web as the initative seems to be. This could also be provided as "tiered" installation for scalability like web frontend could be run on one machine and the logic behind it on the other machine.

Tommy_Forrest
Advisor

Concurrent policy push capability in the same CMA.

In Azure:

It seems the best practice when going from, say 80.20 to 80.30 will be to completely redeploy gateways.  Why can't I just use CPUSE to upgrade VM's in place?

Make the Autoprovisioning stuff a lot less obnoxious.  It has been a real pain getting this stuff up to speed.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

@Tommy_Forrest Upgrade would take more time than redeployment, actually 🙂

0 Kudos
Tommy_Forrest
Advisor

@_Val_  - Maybe.

But when a new/(re)deployment is made, you MUST create a new resource group.  You cannot add them to an existing group.  This is a problem for us.

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

I wish to configure the network settings of a gateway from SmartConsole like it work in VSX.

You need a new interface... you have to configure the gateway in GAiA and too in SmartConsole.

Route entries are the same, why not set via SmartConsole?

Best way would be to configure a management interface on the gateway and all other via SmartConsole.

Wolfgang

_Val_
Admin
Admin

@Wolfgang I like this idea, and considering Gaia API is now part of GA, that might be quite easy to achieve event through SmartConsole Extensions

0 Kudos
Nazarii_Makohin
Participant
Participant

I would like portal (from the box) for manual files check on TE Appliance.

Like Cloud SandBlast Analysis, but check files it locally 🙂

0 Kudos
Martin_Valenta
Advisor

Concurrent policy instalation from R80.x management to r80.x gateways (https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Multi-Domain-Management/Concurrent-policy-install-on-r80-x/m-p/5...)

Northy
Contributor

The ability to be able to influence routing based on the policy. i.e.

Rule A matches src traffic to dst of office 365 and CDN, allow this to be routed to a different gateway rather than default route. 

PBR only allows based on IP address but routing based on the firewall policy, applications etc. In theory, could allow easier manipulation of the traffic based on traffic being matched.

Content-aware routing, is probably the best name i can suggest 

Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

More routing capabilities are much welcome...

- PolicyBasedRouting in VSX ( in normal VS not in virtual router )

- full PBR Support in VSX ( not only IPs as source or destination )

- virtual router running on VSLS in VSX

- virtual router functionality under normal GAiA, not VSX

More and better proxy features:

- reverse proxy, full URL rewrite

- reverse proxy, not only on port 80 and 443

Wolfgang

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@Wolfgang , I second the proxy improvements suggestions. 

0 Kudos
bcwest
Participant

Delta pushes within smart console policy installations

Allow Geo Protection exceptions to be a dynamic object to assist with automation

Improve overall speed of Smart Console

Give out more vendor swag 🙂

RedHerring
Explorer

Dear Checkpoint;

Idea of the Year poposal:

Return to the core checkpoint values, IE: support the engineers in the operations departments of customers and SSP's.

By:

Stoping your release train from taking us on a rollercoaster rides from bug to fix to new bug. 

Limit yourselves to the stable realeases we know and love.

Thus only release new features once a fully stable-state has been achieved in the previous release.

Kind regards,

Andrew_Waltz
Explorer

- Backup GAIA configurations from Gateways and Virtual Systems making them available for restore.  Right now everyone has to build their own solutions.

- Integrated web and/or pdf export (print to pdf is clunky and never works quite right) to create policy used in compliance.

0 Kudos
Tommy_Forrest
Advisor

@Nanda- I agree.  It would be nice if there was a centralized backup system in the MDS.

That said, BackBox does a fantastic job of backing up gateway configs.  It's also helpful and changing user passwords on said gateways.

0 Kudos
Benoit_Verove
Contributor

Complete Gaia configuration from SmartConsole in a much more simpler way than Smart LSM. This could be great

Anoop_K
Explorer

A pocket sized Checkpoint appliance which has a:

SIM BASED 4G WIRELESS ROUTER
OFFERS SECURE VPN TO CORPORATE NETWORK
ANTIVIRUS/IPS/DLP solution built-in
GPS and GEO-FENCING features
FINGERPRINT READER
0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

I have many dreams and wish:

1) Web-based SmartConsole in html5.
2) A real-time console for analyzing VPN problems in the SmartConsole comparable to ikeview but in real time.
3) A way to change DNS and HTML entries in real time. For example, to overwrite the DNS entry test123.com in checkpoint.com or the same for HTTP ( http://test123.com to http://checkpoint.com).
4) WAF blade!😀I know you are working together with Radware. When can we expect a solution here?

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events