Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LostBoY
Advisor
Jump to solution

Change Standby Member to Active Member

Hello,

I am looking for a command to change a Standby Member to Active in a R80.10 VSX Cluster without disrupting services.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Daniel_Taney
Advisor

Yes... without VSLS, just execute clusterXL_admin down on the active member. This will cause the Cluster to fail over to the other Cluster Member. You can immediately run clusterXL_admin up on that same member to bring ClusterXL back online. This should bring the 1st Gateway back as the Standby Cluster member.

The procedure would be the same to fail back to the other member once you are done whatever work you are performing.

R80 CCSA / CCSE

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor
clusterXL_admin down -p
clusterXL_admin up -p
Jerry
LostBoY
Advisor
This is to be given on standby Member ?
0 Kudos
Roman_Niewiado1
Contributor
Yes, on the standby Member in Expert Mode
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Sorry, I do not think that executing "clusterXL_admin down -p" will help you in this case.

First of all the "-p" flag is for "permanent", meaning it is intended use is to survive reboot. To simply cause a failover, the 
"clusterXL_admin down" should be executed on the Active member. Attention!!! please verify that your cluster is in a good working state before doing it.

Additionally, if your VSX cluster is running in VSLS mode, performing "clusterXL_admin down" in VS0 will not cause the other VS' running on Active member to failover:sk95133

In case of VSLS, use vsx_util to redistribute VS' to the desired target VSX unit before executing "clusterXL_admin down" in VS0.

Regards,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
LostBoY
Advisor
thanks for the reply... i am not using VSLS.. i just need to change the standby member to active state for sometime and then roll it back...
so in that case can i go ahead with clusterXL_admin down without -p ?
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Apologies, I've made an error in my post above and have just corrected it.

The admin_down should be executed on currently active member to cause a failover.

Before you do this, please verify that your clustering, in content of each VS is looking good.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Taney
Advisor

Yes... without VSLS, just execute clusterXL_admin down on the active member. This will cause the Cluster to fail over to the other Cluster Member. You can immediately run clusterXL_admin up on that same member to bring ClusterXL back online. This should bring the 1st Gateway back as the Standby Cluster member.

The procedure would be the same to fail back to the other member once you are done whatever work you are performing.

R80 CCSA / CCSE

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events