cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrDazanaCom
Participant

Bonding a pppoe connection

Good day experts, 

I have successfully created a bond for wan and lan connections as my ISP is a 3gbs connection. When I set the WANBOND0 to DHCP it retrieves an internal ip from the ISP modem and I can get full 3gbps speeds. Ideally I prefer to use PPPoE however when I set this on WANBOND0 my max speed is  1gbps . Is this a limitation to the PPPoE or am I missing something ?

Specs Quantum Spark 1570 appliance running R81.10.08 (996001683)

Bonded WANBOND0 ports 1-4 using 802.ad hash policy layer3+4

Bonded LANBOND0 ports 5-6 using 802.ad hash policy layer3-4

Isp modem has a 10gbs uplink port to the switch and is on its own VLAN with WANBOND0

Thanks for any input

0 Kudos
4 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Personally, I never heard of such a limitation, though based on below doc, it talks about MTU size, so its possible that may need to be manipulated.

Best,

Andy

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/SMB_R80.20.20/AdminGuides/Locally_Managed/EN/Topics/Configuring...

Port Settings

• If necessary, select Use custom MTU value and set the MTU size.

Note - For a DMZ interface the MTU value is applied to all LAN ports.

To avoid fragmentation (which slows transmission), set the MTU according to the smallest MTU of all the network devices between your gateway and the packet destination

For static and DHCP mode, set MTU to 1500 or lower.

For PPPoE connections, set MTU to 1492 or lower.

Note - When the gateway is behind a modem that works as a NAT device, the MTU value of the gateway must be the same value as in the modem. If the modem has a PPPoE connection, set the MTU in the gateway to 1492 or lower.

0 Kudos
MrDazanaCom
Participant

Thanks, 

I tried that as well setting the MTU to 1492 and I still got the same result. What I did notice though is that when looking at ports statistics and the switch, in DHCP mode I can see all 4 links passing traffic. In PPPoE mode I can only see one link out of the 4 being used,  

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

If you tried that, might be worth TAC case, not certain why that could be happening, sorry.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

If I understand your topology correctly I suspect the PPP encapsulation prevents the hashing of traffic between links by the intermediate devices, whereas with DHCP natively the src/dst IP & ports are exposed to allow load distribution.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events