cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crashesalot
Explorer

DynamicID implemented per Active Directory Group Membership

Hello

For mobile access, I am trying to implement a solution in which members of a particular AD group is required the DynamicID OTP challenge and the rest of the users in the domain do not have this requirement.  

I have seen similar discussions to what it is I am trying to do, but nothing that seems to be exactly that.

1) If you are a member of the "OTP AD Group" then you get the OTP challenge.

2)  All other users pass thru with only username/password challenge.

Can anyone point me to a discussion where this has been clearly implemented or an SK?

6 Replies
Darren_Fine
Collaborator

Hi there,

I also have a client who is interested in this type of solution.

Basically the use case is the client wants to force a particular type of Auth to a particular AD group....

(Is this not something that would have to be done on the remote access client rather than the firewall - since the firewall doesnt know which group the client is in until they auth - sort of a "what comes first - the chicken or the egg " type thing....)

Anyone got any ideas?

MartinTzvetanov
Advisor

If you configure something in GW for authentication, it is valid for everyone. You can't configure a group1 to use pass+dynamicid and group2 to use cert+pass based on AD groups.

You select what type of auth to use (when you use SSL portal) or during the installation of a VPN client before even enter your username.

I think of something raw solution.

Let's say you configure 2 ways for authentication in CP GW settings:

1) username+pass+dynamicid

2)username+pass+cert

You can switch between them in the VPN client GUI or in the SSL Mobile portal. 

If you find a way to install and configure the laptops for group1 to use pass+dynamicid, for group2 - pass+cert and lock this configuration in the VPN client GUI you will achieve what you're looking for. Of course this is a hard work if you have more of laptops.

Another really raw solution - if you have 2 separate GWs for VPN, on gw1 configure user+pass+dynamicid, on gw2 configure username+pass+cert. Group1 initiate VPN to gw1 and group2 to gw2.

Darren_Fine
Collaborator

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply - yes I also thought of this and I managed to change the trac.config file and use the cpmsi_tool.exe to roll a customised msi that only had the single auth version in the drop down - this seemed to work great ...

The only issue is when it connects to the vpn it learns the other methods and repopulates the Auth settings with all the options 🙂

I have not figured out if one can stop that happening as yet 🙂

Thanks

0 Kudos
MartinTzvetanov
Advisor

yeah, the problem is how to lock the configuration of the client not to be able to change them auth methods when they are learned 🙂
0 Kudos
Crashesalot
Explorer

help.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions.  I'm curious what this section of the authentications section would be used for?  My VPN clients are working with username/password.  Newer clients are bi-passing the Dynamic OTP, and I know how to correct that in the settings, but I am really curious what this section is for.

0 Kudos
MartinTzvetanov
Advisor

1Capture.JPG

this is how it's configure on my site. When I open the mobile access portal in the browser I have a drop-down menu where I select which method to use.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events