cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DP123
Participant
Jump to solution

BSOD when installing CheckPoint VPN

I have had 2 users with VPN Service Lost issues. Both of them the CheckPoint VPN service will start and shutdown. I tried to repair it and it kept rolling back saying the Watchdog service could not shutdown. So I disabled it and rebooted and when I went to uninstall, and upgrade it and kept saying

2022-10-05 11_28_15.png

I am trying to install these version of the CheckPoint VPN

E86.50_CheckPointVPN

E86.60_CheckPointVPN

E86.70_CheckPointVPN

It gets to

2022-10-05 12_20_17.png

All of them BSOD saying this

2022-10-05 12_11_20.png

I used the guide https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut... to remove it. Which worked but I cannot install it. It is the same issue with the BSOD at the same point.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DP123
Participant

After the user restarted the issue came back. 

I had to use Safe Mode to remove it. But you cannot just run MSI files. While in Safe Mode. I had to do this on the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal

Create new key called MSIServer and change the (Default) value to Service

Open CMD as Administrator and type NET START MSIServer

This allowed me to run the uninstaller and completely remove it without any errors.

Rebooted and then installed it and it worked. I then rebooted and logged into the VPN few times to make sure the issue is 100% resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Can you share more with us about the system that this is being installed on, also are you working through the issue with TAC?

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
DP123
Participant

Hi Chris,

I managed to track it down.

In the end I saw that it is still installed just the Network Adapter is missing.

I found this article: ( I amended the steps from it as the folder was missing and there is a reboot requirement) 

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

1. Open regedit on the Windows machine.
  2. Go to:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DeviceInstall\Parameters\
  3. Change the value of the "DeviceInstallDisabled" to "0" (if the registry key doesn't exist, create a new DWORD key).
  4. Reboot the client machine.
  5. Open the Windows Command Prompt as Administrator.
  6. Go to:
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\Endpoint Security\"
  7. Uninstall the VNA driver:
    vna_utils.exe -ap vna dev remove_ex netvna.inf cp_apvna
  8. Re-install the VNA adapter:
    vna_utils.exe -ap vna dev install netvna.inf cp_apvna
  9. Stop and start the Endpoint processes:
    trac stop
    trac start
  10. Reboot
  11. Connect to VPN.

This worked on 1 users laptop. I have not had a chance to test this on the other user yet.

DP123
Participant

After the user restarted the issue came back. 

I had to use Safe Mode to remove it. But you cannot just run MSI files. While in Safe Mode. I had to do this on the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal

Create new key called MSIServer and change the (Default) value to Service

Open CMD as Administrator and type NET START MSIServer

This allowed me to run the uninstaller and completely remove it without any errors.

Rebooted and then installed it and it worked. I then rebooted and logged into the VPN few times to make sure the issue is 100% resolved.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events