Participant
Jump to solution

Is MDS and Provider 1 same?

Please help to understand the difference b/w MDS and provider1

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Martin_Valenta
Advisor

yes, provider-1 is just old name for multi domain system..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Martin_Valenta
Advisor

yes, provider-1 is just old name for multi domain system..

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Check Point still uses the old names today. I teached my colleagues on the new terminology, MDS, DMS, MDSM, etc. Even today Check Point support references to CMAs and other names while most new people are not used to these old names anymore.

0 Kudos
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

Unfortunately we haven't completed educating all our employees and technology partners on the new naming.

Starting with R80:

1. CMA is now named Domain

2. Provider-1 or MDSM is now named Multi-Domain Management Server

3. SMS is now named Security Management Server (or: not-multi-domain)

4. No more initials with the exception of "MDS Domain" when logging in with SmartConsole and selecting between domains.

This was us extending our intuitiveness of the user interface to the scope of product names.

ramakrishnan
Contributor

Hello Tomer_Sole,

Good Day.

Can you please help me out new/old naming scheme and purpose of Management portfolio for Checkpoint. 
MDM- Multi-Domain Security Management ..? 

Purpose: ...?

MDS: Multidomain server 

Purpose: Managing Under MDS, 

many CMA [Customer Management Add-On],

under CMA many [ FW GW(Firewalls)]

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Tomer does not work for us anymore, so he will not be able to asnswer.

Please visit the product page for MDS, you will find all you need there: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doShowproductpage&product=166

_Val_
Admin
Admin

Provider-1 is an old name for MDSM - Multi-Domain Security Management product family.

MDS stands for Muti-Domain Server. MDS is one of the flavors when installing MDSM. There is also MLM - multi domain log server.

0 Kudos
JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

Similar question in 2030 year:

Is SmartDashboard the same like SmartConsole ?

Maybe someone can write some article with all shortcuts related to Check Point what we know so far?

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

SmartDashboard represents the blue application of R77.x

SmartConsole is the unified pink dashboard single pane of class for configuration, logs and device operations.

ravinder_gulia
Participant

Thanks to all

0 Kudos
ravinder_gulia
Participant

Please share the related document if any

Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

I think you forgot to add that the flavors of MDS/MDSM vary - all depends if you're using Single-Domain or Multi-Domain envoronment (multi CMA) structures Smiley Happy 

Jerry
ramakrishnan
Contributor

Further More any clarify?

CMA-- Customer Management Add-On

MDM-- Multi Domain Security Management (How its vary from MDS/MDMS]

MDS-- Multi-Domain server 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Those of us who have been using/supporting Check Point for a decade or more still use these legacy terms 🙂
If you review this page, you will see these terms defined by hovering over "Multi-Domain Server" and such: https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81.20/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81.20_Multi-DomainSecurityManageme...

MDM refers to the entire installation (one or more multi-domain servers, or MDS).

In modern contexts, a CMA refers to a single management domain (i.e. a "customer").
In the past, I believe CMAs were also a type of license.
Having said that, I am less familiar with the older licensing of Multi-Domain and it changed pretty significantly in 2010 or so.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events