Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manoj_Tiwari
Explorer

ISP Redundancy (load sharing) issue in R80.10

Recently I have setup the checkpoint firewall 5400 series Gaia R80.10 in cluster environment. Where I have to configure the ISP redundancy in load sharing mode. But after it goes on live, we have faced the high CPU utilization issue, some traffic has been dropped without hitting in policy, first packet isn't sync packet  etc issues.

I have configured the ISP redundancy with reference of R77.30 but I don't even find the any guide and documentation for the ISP redundancy in R80.10.

My question is:

-does anybody implemented the ISP redundancy in R80.10?

-If checkpoint doesn't provide any documentation for that, is it supported or not in R80.10?

Thanks,

Manoj

23 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The steps for configuring ISP Redundancy haven't changed in many versions, and yes it's supported in R80.10.

If you want to verify you've configured it right for R80.10, refer to the ClusterXL Admin Guide: ClusterXL R80.10 (Part of Check Point Infinity) Administration Guide 

That said if you're experiencing High CPU, you might want to engage with the TAC. 

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

The high CPU being experienced is almost certainly related to the fact that all traffic on the firewall will go F2F (i.e. no acceleration) when ISP Redundancy is configured in Load Sharing mode.  

--
Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Ankur_Datta
Collaborator

Hi Tim,

In R80.20 also we will see same behavior?

ISP redundancy configured in load sharing, all traffic takes F2F path and not accelerate the packet. we have firewall and VPN blade and most of the traffic is for VPN.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

There were some pretty significant changes to the architecture of SecureXL in R80.20.

I don't know if they are enough to overcome this specific limitation.

Shahar_Grober
Advisor

In my opinions, features which disable acceleration should be eliminated by Check Point. It is not possible to work today without SecureXL. sending traffic to F2F path due to limitations in specific feature is like going 10 years back. 

I tried to use ISP Redundancy in load sharing and had to turn it off after a while due to:

1. It is not working with PBR or even simple NAT rules, which means that there is no way to control which traffic will go through which link (Please don't point me to SK's or TAC, I tried both)

2. The performance was too high 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

We are definitely working to reduce the situations where packets go F2F.

Curious, did you try it in R80.20?

0 Kudos
Shahar_Grober
Advisor

Are there any changes to ISP redundancy behavior in R80.20?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

There are some significant changes to SecureXL in R80.20.

This could impact ISP Redundancy positively.

Shahar_Grober
Advisor

Thanks for the tip Deamon,

As I pointed out, ISP redundancy in load sharing disables SecureXL.

Is there a way to know what are the changes in SecureXL in R80.20 (there is nothing about it in sk122485)? 

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

SecureXL has been radically improved in R80.20 to support the Falcon cards, easily the biggest change to SecureXL since CoreXL was introduced in R70.   I've been a bit quiet on this topic even after my trip to Israel, mainly because I'm still making sure I have everything straight in my head about how it works now before spouting off.  As you noted the documentation for SecureXL in R80.20 is still bit sparse; the Acceleration team is probably focused on getting the Falcon accelerator card into GA rather then writing documentation, at least for the moment.  🙂

--
Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Shahar_Grober
Advisor

Thanks for the information Tim,

I would like to hear and learn more about the newly expected acceleration cards and understand how they improve performance. I am in doubt that they can solve the ISP redundancy and acceleration issue but let's see. 

Please don't underestimate in documenting feature, a good documentation, "how to?'s", training and sometimes marketing can make the difference between a good and great feature/product. 

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

I wonder why is this limitation? How is LS different from HA from SecureXL point of view (other than the default route is already known in advance)? As far as I know outgoing connections are sticky to an ISP link so in a way it is the same as HA. 

0 Kudos
Shahar_Grober
Advisor

Good Question Hristo,

Dameon Welch-Abernathy‌ can you point this question to R&D?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Will ask if R80.20 makes a difference here (which is the real question) Smiley Happy

YosiHavilo
Employee
Employee

when you work with ISPR LS mode , the connection is not accelerated , this is  a limitation in all versions .

this is probably the reason you get the high cpu .

in case you use ISPR in HA mode the connection will be accelerated ,

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Checked with my sources in R&D, this is still a limitation in R80.20 as well.

Shahar_Grober
Advisor

Thanks for checking this Dameon. I think that we all agree that features which disable acceleration (F2F) are almost impossible to use in production environments.

About R80.20, I am very curious about the acceleration improvements and the new Falcon cards. I would like to get more information about it in the community. Are the cards targeted to release at CPX?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Much of SecureXL was moved into userspace, which will allow better scalability on larger machines.

Can't say for sure when the cards will release, but we have an EA program for them which you are welcome to participate in Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RS_Daniel
Advisor

Hi,
Do you know if this issue is still present in R80.30? or does checkpoint has a roadmap to solve this in the future? Thanks in advance
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

This is still a limitation.
0 Kudos
Matlu
Advisor

Hello,

For the R81+ versions in use today, is the fact of F2F traffic for ISP Redundancy traffic in Load Sharing mode still a limitation?

Enabling this feature is indirectly "hitting" the appliance resources (CPU)?

Regards.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Yes, traffic that involves an interface configured with ISP Redundancy will not be accelerated with SecureXL.
See: https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk32578
And: https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk104679 

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Couldn't agree more. Using more than one ISP in most cases make it mandatory to use SecureXL. I really hope CP overcomes technical difficulties and implement this. 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events