cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oliver_Matt
Contributor

IPS: Connection accepted - But why?

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out why the connection below is accepted. Forensic reason is "HTTP parsing error detected. Bypassing the request as defined in the Inspection Settings." Precise Error is "illegal startline in request"

I'm not able to add an exception -> "This protection does not support exceptions"

2021-12-14 15_39_43-Log Details.png

The inspection setting "Non compliant HTTP" is set to inactive.

Thread Prevention blade is set to Fail-open. Could this be the cause?

Running on 80.40

Any ideas welcome

Kind regards

Oliver

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Marcel_Gramalla
Advisor

It's a bit confusing but this protection isn't directly from the IPS protections but from the general "Inspection Settings". You can add exceptions there. But keep in mind that you would have to enable this protection first and add exception for the connections you might need:
ips.JPG

We also have it disabled as it is standard in the default profile.

Oliver_Matt
Contributor

Hello Marcel,

confusing is the right word 🙂 As I've already mentioned in my post: Non compliant HTTP is already set to inactive. So why should this setting generate the log entry?

0 Kudos
Marcel_Gramalla
Advisor

Inactive actually doesn't mean it won't be logged - this is the same behavior with regular IPS exceptions. I honestly don't know what's the difference between detect and inactive but normally you have to also set the log column no "none" in order to do nothing. As you cannot do that with those inspection settings you would have to live with that I assume.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

There are four overall types of IPS-related protections that all used to be part of the IPS blade prior to R80 but got (mostly) split out separately in R80+:

1) IPS ThreatCloud Protections (shield icon)

2) Inspection Settings (wrench icon)

3) Core Activations/Protections (only 39 of these - shield w/ firewall icon)

4) Geo Policy (legacy in R81+)

Regardless of type, exceptions are processed after the actual inspection occurs looking for that protection and simply changes the final decision (Prevent/Detect/etc.).  As such exceptions don't improve performance at all.  The ability to specify "Inactive" in an exception is indeed misleading, it probably should be "Ignore" which would be a bit more clear and slightly different than Detect.  For Inspection Settings specifically, hits against an exception there will always be logged and you can't change it.  Some Inspection Settings protections are inherent to the stateful inspection process and cannot directly be set to Inactive on the protection itself, let alone an exception.

The specific log you are seeing is related to an internal inspection failure and what to do when that happens (fail open or fail closed); in your case it failed open (bypass).  There is not a separate setting for Inspection Settings controlling this I'm aware of, I imagine it is keying off the Manage & Settings...Blades...Threat Prevention...Fail Mode option, even though Inspection Settings is supposed to be part of the Access Control policy.  See my commentary at the start of this article.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Oliver_Matt
Contributor

Hi Timothy,

thank you for clearing this up. I've already assumed that this logs are caused because of the fail-open setting. Will switch the Thread blade to fail-close and keep on monitoring.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Definitely keep an eye on things for awhile when changing from fail-open to fail-close, you may be surprised what gets broken as a result.

0 Kudos
Oliver_Matt
Contributor

Seems we've been too optimistic with Fail-open / Fail-close. I've set the Thread Prevention Blade to Fail-close but these kind of logs are still being generated. Any other ideas what protection or setting causes this issue?

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Probably will need a TAC case for this, as I don't see where the fail mode is controlled from for Inspection Settings, it must not be using the TP Setting.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events