Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChoiYunSoo
Contributor

Unusual messages related to memory are repeated in '/var/log/messages'

Hi

The message below is repeated in the customer's /var/log/messages

I would like to know whether the message below is a H/W related error or a S/W issue that can be resolved by updating the driver firmware, etc.

However, because the customer's version is R80.40, TAC is avoiding giving an exact answer.

Has anyone experienced the message below?

* /var/log/messages

FW1 kernel: i40e 0000:18:00.2 eth3-03: Cannot read module EEPROM memory. No module connected.

--> The message is repeated every 6 hours.

* Model: SG16200

* module: CPAC-4-10F-C

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

This is an error message from the NIC driver (i40e).
From what I can tell, the error message appears to be related to the use of unapproved SFPs in the NIC. 
Check Point appliances and NICs only support SFPs purchased from Check Point.
Please confirm with the customer only SFPs purchased from Check Point are in use.

Assuming the hardware is supported, it's entirely possible these error messages will go away on upgrading to R81.20 (which has updated NIC drivers).
If you're still seeing them after upgrading to a supported release and have other symptoms, TAC may be able to assist further.
Otherwise, beyond verifying the SFPs in use are supported, this message can likely safely be ignored.

0 Kudos
ChoiYunSoo
Contributor

Hi

Thank you for your reply

Customers are using genuine NIC cards and genuine SFPs delivered by us.

And I have a question about your answer.

They said that the symptom would be alleviated by upgrading the version, but this message only occurs in 'VRRP set 1' of the customer's firewall.

No message occurs in another 'VRRP set 2'

Of course, VRRP set 1 and 2 have the R80.40 Take_158 Hotfix applied identically to the SG16200 (i40e Driver).

I am wondering that the problem only occurs in one place even though it is the same OS and the same hotfix.

A message has suddenly appeared since June 3rd, and I suspect that something has changed in the configuration due to auto update.

Is there a way to check the interface driver firmware version you mentioned?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

There should be nothing coming from Autoupdate that would impact this. 
My guess is there is something unique in the environment that is causing these issues to occur.
In any case, until the customer upgrades to a supported release, TAC won't be able to assist any further.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events