cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Masek
Explorer

TCP State Logging: Only 10% of the connections have a TCP State

Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem that probably is not firewall related, but it would help us a lot if we could see how a connection ended.

We activated TCP State Logging as described in sk101221. And we see log entries that contain a "TCP State" entry. Unluckily this is only available for 10% of all TCP sessions. Most TCP sessions do not contain any TCP State. This is surprising as we selected "3" (When connection state change), so we would expect every connection to have a TCP State.

All connections were accepted.

I was using to "fw log" to analyse the log as SmartConsole requires you to click on a log entry to see if there is a TCP State and we have thousands of log entries. But from checking from SmartConsole, the percentage of log entries containing a TCP State is mostly the same. We made sure the connection started and ended in the same log file.

Are some connections excluded from Reporting the TCP State? I see no limitation in the sk101221.

What I noticed:

• Entries with "LogId: 9" always have a TCP State.
  • Entries with a LogId other than "9" never have a TCP State.

Environment: VSX, R81.10

Sincerely yours, Martin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

TCP state logging is a rather old feature introduced in R77.10; I'm wondering if the big SecureXL changes in R80.20 are not compatible with it, and as such you are only seeing TCP state for F2F/slowpath traffic for which you normally want to see 10% or less.  You could try forcing critical traffic for which you must see TCP state info into F2F/slowpath as described here and see if it makes a difference: sk104468: How to disable SecureXL for specific IP addresses

Looking at the current list of sim-specific kernel variables, I don't see one corresponding to fwconn_tcp_state_logging.  So trying to do a fw ctl set int of this variable with the -a argument to set it inside sim/SecureXL is unlikely to have any effect but might be worth a try too.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Can you provide an example log card for connections that don't have TCP state?
Redact any sensitive details.
Recommend opening a TAC case in parallel.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

First thing I was going to suggest was to try disable sxl to see if that fixes the problem. Also, specific log entry related to it would help, just blur out any sensitive/orivate data.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)