cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RAJ30_AZ
Explorer

Indexed Log setting in MDS/MLM

Hi,

Have a plan to change the indexed log setting of MLM R80.40 from 14 days to 30 days.. I have never done this changes, though it looks quite simple, i just need confirmation on couple of items.

Does it require install database to apply these setting on CLM ?

Does it require any restart like smartconsole or anyother services ?

Did we encounter any performance issue if we increase the indexed logs to 30 days (currently, no performance issue) ?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

As I recall, it requires restarting the various management services to take effect, which should not affect traffic passing through gateways. 
The system will be using more resources while the extra logs are indexed, but it's primarily done at lower priority so if something else requires the system's attention, the reindexing task will be de-prioritized.
Once the reindexing is complete, resource usage should return to normal.

0 Kudos
RAJ30_AZ
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks, i understood from the system resource point of view. I still need to understand exactly what are the services needs to be restarted though no impact to users traffic. As we have a strict change process, we have to list all the steps so can you pls share me relevant SK or document ? If not, a brief about what services should be restarted ? Thank you

0 Kudos
G_W_Albrecht
Legend
Legend

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The services that need to be restarted are on the management, and it looks like all of them, given we're talking about a cpstop/mdsstop.
Assuming gateways log to the management server, the only impact to the gateways is they will temporarily log to the local system.
Once management comes back up, these logs will flow back to the management automatically. 

0 Kudos
RAJ30_AZ
Explorer

Thanks all for the clarification. I will plan the activity in the next weekend and post you incase if i do face any problems. thanks again

0 Kudos
RAJ30_AZ
Explorer

Hi,

We changed the indexed log setting from 14 to 30days on MLM a few days back and followed by mdsstop;mdsstart on MLM.

But the new setting has reflected only at MLM level and not at CLM. Each log servers within the domain is still showing as 14 days. This week, we are planning to restart the services on both primary/backup MDS servers.

Can you please confirm if something else is required here ? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I assume a similar change would have to be made on each log server as each log server indexes.

0 Kudos
RAJ30_AZ
Explorer

Hi,

All the domain log servers are set to inherit the settings from MLM servers. Hence, i am suspecting reloading each log server may not required here. We will try to restart mds services on both primary/secondary MDS and if that doesn't help then probably will have to open a case. If you guys know the details, please share me. Thank you

0 Kudos
Shay_Hibah
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hey,

Once you change the maintenance / log retention configuration, there is a need of "publish" operation on MDS/MLM domain and "install database" on CLA/CLM level.

Once its done, FWD process is reloaded.

No impact on performance or restart / reboot of anything else.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events