Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aomeyoyi
Participant

How I can estimate the Hardware Requirements for open server, not the minimal requirements

Hi,

I need estimate the RAM and Disk for the hardware for open server, 

How can I specify what requirements the server needs to have? do I need it to support 135 Mbps with R80.30?

Thanks.

JL

0 Kudos
8 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

135 Mbps, not Gbps, correct? What blades do you want to enable?

0 Kudos
aomeyoyi
Participant

Hi,

It is currently a cluster of two nodes, each node has R80.10
each node is on a 12 core open server with 12 Mb RAM
the demand has increased and the processing and memory are no longer sufficient. So we have been asked to estimate the migration of hardware, I have set up a 16-core open server.
The important thing is that they want to migrate next year to R80.30.
Node1: Throughput 47 Mbps, connections peaks 386K
Node2: Throughput 88 Mbps, connections peaks 1M

16 cores for each node would be enough considering consumption, 5% growth and migration to R80.30?

What CPU and Memory should the hardware have?

Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor

Hi,

If you have an openserver today running with 12GB of ram, that must be a very very old box.

We have been running 8 core licenses on our open servers for 10years+ and i can say the performance increase is massive on every new generation of hardware. 
In our current boxes we uses 8 core High performance CPUs with 192Gb ram to run VSX on.

I normally compare the appliance hardware and see what sort of box of appliance we would need to reach the same performance.
And then take similar or better spec on an open server.
Reason for this is the unsupported HT on openservers.
The list i normally use is: https://lwf.fink.sh/check-point-appliance-hardware-lachmann-list-permanent/

Always make sure to get a NIC that supports multiq.
If this is missed the potential of the open server is severly limited.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MagnusHolmberg-NetSec
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Actually Hyper Threading is supported in R80.40 JHF 48 and above on Open Server with the caveat that, from a licensing perspective, we treat Hyper Threaded cores as real.
Meaning, if you enable Hyper Threading, you need to have licenses to cover the added cores.
Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor

True. 🙂

In my experiance we have found that its alot cheaper the make sure to replace the open servers every 3 years and get the i would say 100%+ more performance then increaing the number of cores on old hardware.

On thing to keep in mind is that servers with many cores also get lower ghz so its hard to find a sweetspot on where to actually place them. Where that sweetspot is also depend on your traffic pattern.

So i would say the most important when it comes to openserver is to dont cheap out on the hardware and make sure to replace it every 3-5 years. Dont leave it just because u think you need 16 cores in future and it becomes a big budget question.

Replacing boxes is fairly cheap compare to licenses.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MagnusHolmberg-NetSec
aomeyoyi
Participant

Thank you Magnus for the contribution, in our case they tell us that Dell PowerEdge servers are already obsolete, so a change of hw is undeniable

0 Kudos
aomeyoyi
Participant

THey have NGFW

Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

How many CPU core are you planning to license?
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events