Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matlu
Advisor
Jump to solution

How ClusterXL works

Hello, everyone.

One query, please.

When you have "built" your ClusterXL with the option that I highlight in the following image in yellow color, and I need for some emergency, "break" the cluster; is the command "clusterXL_admin down" useful, in this "type" of Cluster"?????

CL1.png

Or the exposed command, only works when the "construction" of the cluster was with the option "Maintain current active Cluster Member"?????

Thanks for your comments.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AaronCP
Advisor

Hey @Matlu 

That setting affects the Active/Standby membership based on the priority if both members of the cluster are "up". If you run clusterXL_admin down on the member with the higher priority, you'll automatically failover to the other member in the cluster. When you run clusterXL_admin up, the gateway with the higher priority will automatically become the active again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AaronCP
Advisor

Hey @Matlu 

That setting affects the Active/Standby membership based on the priority if both members of the cluster are "up". If you run clusterXL_admin down on the member with the higher priority, you'll automatically failover to the other member in the cluster. When you run clusterXL_admin up, the gateway with the higher priority will automatically become the active again.

0 Kudos
Matlu
Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

In my scenario, and as you see my ClusterXL configuration.

If I would like to switch the traffic, it is not necessary, to apply the "clusterXL_admin down" command, or yes?

Greetings.

0 Kudos
AaronCP
Advisor

Yes, running clusterXL_admin down will switch the traffic, but you're then only running on one gateway. With your current configuration, your traffic will automatically revert to the higher priority cluster member as soon as you run clusterXL_admin up.

If you want to run the traffic out of the other gateway, you've got two options. You can make the other cluster member the higher priority and install policy, or you can change the setting to "Maintain current active cluster member", install policy then run clusterXL_admin down/up to switch between the members. Whichever gateway you switch to will remain the active member unless you decide to switch them.

Matlu
Advisor

Thank you again for your response.

My query has to do with the reality that we are about to configure new VLANs in the customer environment.

Actually we are going to delete the configuration of a couple of interfaces that already have "set" an IP, to configure new VLANs on these interfaces.

It is not clear to us whether or not it is necessary to "switch" the traffic once we configure the passive member.

We do not have clear, if in our environment, it will be necessary to switch the traffic, and to apply the clusterxl_admin, to achieve this.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Ola bro,

All that setting does, in simple terms is this...say you reboot CURRENT active member, it will, of course fail over to standby, BUT, once initial active comes back, it will be active again. I would not recommend it, as we noticed lots of traffic issues when customers enable this. Just my suggestion.

0 Kudos
Matlu
Advisor

Hi, bro.

In your experience, you recommend to work the clusters, with the option "Maintain current active ....".

Is this option better to avoid traffic problems?

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Exactly, thats default option too. From my experience, always having one member be active can lead to traffic issues during failback.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events