Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dj0Nz
Advisor
Jump to solution

Create CLI FTW template from running config

Hi,

is there already a way (some kind of script or undocumented command line parameter) to create a populated config_system template file from a working configuration?

Would be fine in case of desaster recovery...

Cheers,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor

Don't know if it is a feasible way for you, but ISOmorpic can create USB sticks which already have FTW configuration included and also clish-config can be supplied. This configurations can be supplied for multiple different systems which are distinguished using their management interface mac address.

In addition to that the latest CPUSE version and JUMBO can also be included and installed automatically!

View solution in original post

14 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I am not aware of a way to do this today.

However, we are looking at ways to improve the speed at which new installations take place. 

This might be a nice addition to that.

0 Kudos
Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor

Don't know if it is a feasible way for you, but ISOmorpic can create USB sticks which already have FTW configuration included and also clish-config can be supplied. This configurations can be supplied for multiple different systems which are distinguished using their management interface mac address.

In addition to that the latest CPUSE version and JUMBO can also be included and installed automatically!

dj0Nz
Advisor

Thanks for your answers. I was aware of the Isomorphic solution but the needs were somewhat different here. In the meantime I solved it with a quick-and-dirty shell script which I integrated into the regularly running backup script. Pretty easy. Have a look at cptools/crftwtpl.sh at master · dj0nz/cptools · GitHub if interested...

0 Kudos
davbu
Explorer

I tried this link but it's no longer available.  Do you have it somewhere else?  I have a similar need where I am trying to create a config from a working backup config and deploy it to a device that I need to factory reset.

0 Kudos
Hugo_vd_Kooij
Advisor

clish -c "show configuration"  > myconfig.txt

Then just backup myconfig.txt

<< We make miracles happen while you wait. The impossible jobs take just a wee bit longer. >>
0 Kudos
Hugo_vd_Kooij
Advisor

And then grep a bit to know what the prime interface is and you just configure that in the first time wizard or through the isomorphic tool.

Given that most firewalls don't change interfaces that much you can update you recovery USB stick everytime you make a change.

It would mean you might automate it and just send a cab driver with a USB stick and a unit to  remote location and get it up and running in no time in case of a hardware failure.

Or you might use SRAFAP. (Google won't help you here 😉 ((Students Running As Fast As Possible.)) 

<< We make miracles happen while you wait. The impossible jobs take just a wee bit longer. >>
dj0Nz
Advisor

Thanks a lot. 😉 Unfortunately, recovery via USB is not an option in this case, but I already found a kind of solution (see link in my previous posting).

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It turns out config_system is not the best mechanism to do what you're asking as it's not guaranteed to be compatible across versions.

That said we are working on some enhancements to CDT in the near term that should address the underlying requirement.

Watch this space: Central Deployment Tool (CDT) 

0 Kudos
dj0Nz
Advisor

Thank you for that. Yes, I know CDT a bit, had a POC one or two years ago with it's predecessor (Avalon?). Great to hear it will improve. xD

Currently (with R77.30 only) config_system is perfect. We will rethink the solution if we schedule R80.x updates for that specific customer. I will keep an eye on CDT...

0 Kudos
Vincent_Bacher
Advisor
Advisor

In CDT a function for backups is being integrated. As in am working with EA release I don't know if it's integrated in the current GA as well. And I did not test it yet.

and now to something completely different - CCVS, CCAS, CCTE, CCCS, CCSM elite
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It's not in the GA release, but it is expected in the near future.

Along these lines, we are developing a more rapid appliance deployment system called Blink that will image an appliance with hotfixes in 5-7 minutes time.

This will ultimately be integrated into CDT as well, but not in the coming release. 

0 Kudos
Vincent_Bacher
Advisor
Advisor

5-7 minutes. Really? I'm curious how that's realized and maybe I'll get the opportunity to test it someday.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Check with the same source you're getting the EA version of CDT from Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Vincent_Bacher
Advisor
Advisor

Sure, I'll do so. Thanks a lot. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events