cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luisnego
Contributor
Jump to solution

CRC Errors

Guys, I've a little problem with my checkpoint apppliance, I using in cluster HA when the primary is set as Active I receive a lot of CRC message in the interface, when I use the  command " clusterXL_admin down" and my firewall converge to other appliance, this erros about crc is gone. I followed sk61922. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Looks like your switch is actually seeing the XOFF requests from the firewall and counting them as an input pause.

Based on your sar output it looks like the CRC errors (grouped under "rxfram") are clumpy.  Tough to say what it going on, but might be interesting to note the number of pause/tx_offs at one point in time, wait for a CRC/rxfram clump to occur and then see if the pause/tx_off counters (or any other interesting ones) have incremented.  My guess is no, but it is worth checking. 

I have a vague recall of seeing switches occasionally spewing some kind of control frame that the firewall's NIC would log as a runt/short or framing error but can't remember if it was CDP, something related to STP, or perhaps even duplex negotiation.  Those "errored" frames can't be viewed with tcpdump anyway.

--
Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Check your duplex/speed settings on both firewalls and corresponding switch ports. If they are the same, I would check/replace cable. SFP also can cause that.

You can see duplex settings with ethtool command or show interface in clish

Luisnego
Contributor

I Checked, I changed SFP , cable , both sides are set the same configuration.  I think this is a problem in module , because, i chanced too the slot and de problem continued

0 Kudos
ED
Advisor

Also note these values:

tx_flow_control_xon: 15
tx_flow_control_xoff: 151

rx_flow_control_xon: 0
rx_flow_control_xoff: 0

Gigabit ethernet provides flow control between NIC and the switch. When your NIC starts to get low on RAM buffering it will send a pause frame XOFF to the switch, telling switch to stop sending for a bit. After the NIC has enough buffering capability again it will now send a new frame, this time XON telling the switch to restart the sending of the frames. The values for rx_flow_control_xon/xoff  are 0 because the flow control is off/disabled on the switch. So the switch will not react to the NIC telling it to slow down. You don't have any overruns so I don't know if this is a big problem. Tim Hall‌ might help you by analyzing these errors. 

What type/category of cable are you using? 

0 Kudos
Luisnego
Contributor

I'm using a optical fiber OM4 LCxLC 10Gb.

config on switch:

firewall:

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

CRC errors are generally physical problems with the cable being used such as electrical shorts or possibly electromagnetic interference in the case of copper.  The latter can generally only happen if there is a network cable in a long run next to power cables/conduits.  Could possibly be a bad switch port or a bad NIC port on the firewall but that is pretty rare, usually it is an issue with the cable or connector.  Could also be a duplex mismatch if using Fast Ethernet but duplex mismatches are practically impossible with Gigabit Ethernet in use. 

Any CRC or other errors being shown on the switch port the firewall is attached to?  Also are the CRC errors happening in clumps or slowly accumulating over long periods of time?  Use sar -n EDEV to investigate the frequency of those CRC errors occurring.  The CRC error rate really should be zero, but the errored frame rate due to CRC errors on your interface is a mere 0.043% which is pretty negligible.  Unfortunately there is no easy way to capture these CRC-errored frames with tcpdump since the Ethernet NIC card/driver will not actually forward them up to the operating system for processing.

As far as tx_flow_control_xon and tx_flow_control_xoff being nonzero yet no actual NIC overruns occurred (RX-OVR), my interpretation is that the firewall NIC was coming close to an buffer overrun condition and issued the XOFF, but did not actually overrun and lose any frames.  Probably not related to the CRC errors.

--

0 Kudos
Luisnego
Contributor

I looked in my switch and no have any CRC errors in this interface, CRC erros  happening in slowly accumalation, for minute increase 100 or less.

sar -n EDEV:

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Looks like your switch is actually seeing the XOFF requests from the firewall and counting them as an input pause.

Based on your sar output it looks like the CRC errors (grouped under "rxfram") are clumpy.  Tough to say what it going on, but might be interesting to note the number of pause/tx_offs at one point in time, wait for a CRC/rxfram clump to occur and then see if the pause/tx_off counters (or any other interesting ones) have incremented.  My guess is no, but it is worth checking. 

I have a vague recall of seeing switches occasionally spewing some kind of control frame that the firewall's NIC would log as a runt/short or framing error but can't remember if it was CDP, something related to STP, or perhaps even duplex negotiation.  Those "errored" frames can't be viewed with tcpdump anyway.

--

Luisnego
Contributor

I looked , but no have any incremented. I think is a problem with  module SPF+

0 Kudos
ED
Advisor

Don't know if it matters but you have hardcoded speed and duplex settings on switch and used auto-negotiation on your firewall NIC. Since Tim mentions duplex negotiation. 

0 Kudos
Luisnego
Contributor

Thanks Enis Dunic‌ , i changed on switch for auto-negotiation.

0 Kudos
Luisnego
Contributor

Guys, I think that i'll change the module SFP (CPAC-2-10F), 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events