Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George_Casper
Contributor

T-Mobile 5G Home Internet & Checkpoint Endpoint VPN

Anyone have any users that tried out T-Mobile Home Internet and good/bad experience with EndPoint VPN client?   So far of the 500 users I support haven't had anyone let me know of issues (if any are using T-Mobile at all) but have read on many forums that T-Mobile chokes on IPv4 VPN connections as they are doing some major voodoo double nat'ing it to an IPv6 connection to backhaul it, causing just about every corporate VPN to have issues.    This is an issue specific to their 5G Home Internet offering, not so much with using a T-Mobile phone as a hot spot. 

Apparently they are rolling out a new firmware fix for their gateway version "MR4" starting August 9 that lists fixes for several corporate VPN's but not Checkpoint specifically.  

Looking to both get ahead of this issue if any of my user community switches to T-Mobile home internet and for myself.   (Had enough of the deplorable upload speeds and price gouging on my not to be named cable provider!!!)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

FWIW, I haven't seen any reports of issues either on the community or via TAC cases.

0 Kudos
George_Casper
Contributor

I'm itching to try the service but want to see if it really works.   Mileage may vary with any ISP but especially with cellular.   But if they aren't handling IPv4 VPN's its a deal breaker.  My T-Mobile cell on 5G indoor at my house is averaging 250+ download and 50+ upload.   My cable provider subscription is 300 down but tops out at a barely usable 10 upload.  Even if I subscribe to their gig service the upload is still only 10mb.    So far only able to get 3rd party anecdotal info on the service and a possible VPN fix just released.  https://tmo.report/2021/08/firmware-mr4-rolling-out-to-t-mobile-5g-home-internet-gateway-fixes-poor-...  The 5G service is half the price of the cable provider, no modem rental fee, and no long term contract so if I'm interested I'm sure some of our employees trying it and hope not to have complaints they can't VPN in.  We are nearly 100% work from home for at least another 4-6 months.

FYI, not endorsing TMobile, just happen to live in a semi-rural area with few competitive options for service.

0 Kudos
hnouel
Explorer

I received a call that programmers on Android with T-Mobile as the cell provider could not create the VPN Site in Capsule.  I tested on my phone (T-Mobile/Android) and same had the same issue.  I tested on a loaner Verizon/Android phone and connection is successful.  After reading about the shenanigan's that T-Mobile is up to, I checked my settings for Mobile Network.  The APN Protocol is using IPv6.  I changed it to IPv4 and voila, it worked.  A colleague could not change his APN settings so he just created a new APN with most of the same settings except for Protocol as IPv4 and that also worked.  I don't know if T-Mobile Home Internet has the same settings but worth a look.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events