cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jan_Kleinhans
Advisor

Maximum Upload/Download Bandwith for VPN Client

Hello,

does anybody know if there is a maximum speed that the VPN Client can handle?

My Home Internet has 300/50 MBit/s but VPN Client seems to be capped at 100MBit/s. The Checkpoint Firewall itself has a 10GBit/s internet connection. This is not realy a problem at the moment but as bandwith needs are growing.....

Regards,

Jan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The question is: how are you testing it?

0 Kudos
Jan_Kleinhans
Advisor

Sorry to not have mentioned it. I am using https://github.com/librespeed/speedtest 

This produces nearly 1GBit/s when connected to the local network. With VPN only 100MBit/s. With iperf3 I also get under 100MBit/s. So I thought about a hardcoded limit in VPN client.

Regards,

Jan

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Unless you're doing a test across multiple destination IPs, you're hitting a single processor core, which will naturally limit the amount of throughput.
I don't believe there is a hardcoded limit, but there may be an architectural limitation somewhere.

0 Kudos
russatcityuol
Explorer

Hi, Did you find a resolution to this at all? We're currently seeing the same with our Remote Access VPN clients on our 16000's running R81. Thanks.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

From E86.60, we will leverage AES-NI processor support (if compatible AES settings are used), which should improve performance somewhat.
However, I believe we are still limited to a single processor core on the client side, which will limit the overall throughput possible.
This isn't expected to be addressed in the near term.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events