Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KostasGR
Advisor
Jump to solution

Verification succeeds for two same sequential rules

Hello

At R81 Verification succeeds for two same sequential rules. See attachment. 

You can easily replicate.

BR,

Kostas

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
6 Replies
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

At a guess, that seems like something the zone might cause. Zones are complicated to resolve to specific addresses, so I wouldn't be surprised if the verification process treats them as not matching anything, or simply skips rules which use them.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Wow. That's good to know. I have a few policies in my managements which I don't want anybody pushing (one with QoS, and a few are migrations in progress), so I intentionally break them with overlapping rules at the end. I'll have to confirm they have different actions. They might just be two drop rules in some.

LaRockas
Participant

Hi PhoneBoy ,

The feature with the overlapping rules and the verification was very useful for large environments with many may rules . It was helping to housekeep the rules . Also it was an extra for our environment when we migrate from Cisco ASA , to help us reduce the rules . I understand the need for others to have overlapping rules , but it would be better to be able to change it with some change to the GUI , and not all the procedure that the SK161574 (Advanced Technical Level)  describes .

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I believe the primary reason this was done was to reduce the overall policy compilation/installation time, also an issue in environments with many, many rules.
I would expect this process to take more time if this check is re-enabled.
Moving the setting to the UI would have to be addressed as an RFE.

0 Kudos
abihsot__
Advisor

I feel your frustration. I was thinking the same and policy verification for hide rules is very useful to prevent rulebase from growing unnecessary. In my opinion it is a shady way of speeding up policy installation time.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events