Did you mean: 
Jeff_Gao
Advisor
Jump to solution

Max log space

Dear all

Pls see the below details

df -h
Filesystem                                          Size       Used        Avail       Use%          Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_current       197G      23G         165G         13%                    /
/dev/sda1                                           289M      24M          251M         9%                   /boot
tmpfs                                                  28G         0              28G           0%                 /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log             2.5T        1.6T        826G          66%                /var/log

I need to increase the /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log partition  to 3500G.So,I want to know what is the max space limit of /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log partition,thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

With kernel 2.6.18, the maximum size of a bootable partition (the root) is 2 TB.  However since lv_log is not a bootable partition, I would assume it can be at least 4TB.  Could even be up to 32TB depending on the block size, see ext3 - Wikipedia 

To determine the block size, run this: tune2fs -l /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log | grep -i 'block size'

--
"IPS Immersion Training" Self-paced Video Class
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jeff_Gao
Advisor

Sorry,My SMS is R77.30,thanks!

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

To resize your disk partitions see sk95566: Managing partition sizes via LVM manager on Gaia OS

Very important: make sure you have a good verified backup of your SMS before tampering with disk partitioning!

--

0 Kudos
Jeff_Gao
Advisor

Hi Timothy

Thanks for your response.But I want to know what is the max extensiable space of /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log partition.For example,it is 2.5t space,if I can extend this partition to 3.5t if i have 1t free space.

Notes:

Not long ago,I had expanded this partition from 700G to 2.5T

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

With kernel 2.6.18, the maximum size of a bootable partition (the root) is 2 TB.  However since lv_log is not a bootable partition, I would assume it can be at least 4TB.  Could even be up to 32TB depending on the block size, see ext3 - Wikipedia 

To determine the block size, run this: tune2fs -l /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log | grep -i 'block size'

--

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

You also might want to ask yourself, if you really need to maintain the amount of logfiles you seem to be storing, how long ago do you want to be able to see logs for?

Regards, Maarten

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events