Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S_E_
Advisor
Jump to solution

disc encryption

Hi,

tried to find out some information regarding disc encryption. Especially on CheckPoint appliances with e.g. R81.10.

It looks like that there is no encryption by default. Correct? 

Is there any recommendation / best practise?

Checkmate ChatGPT provides infos to  ATRG: Full Disk Encryption (FDE) which and then refers to:

For detailed instructions and best practices, you can refer to the https://community.checkpoint.com.

However, FDE seems to be for Client PC (win/mac) and not for GAiA

Thanks

Best Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Reposting an answer from one of my colleagues:

Check Point Gaia is a hardened OS and intended for access by qualified and trained administrators only using strong authentication methods. They should also be installed in physically secure locations that are accessible only to trusted and authorized employees (R82 adds 2FA in Gaia)

Additionally all Check Point management traffic is strongly secured by SIC, providing confidentiality, integrity and MUTUAL authentication to management protocols over the network.

Assuming that these mitigating controls have been followed, the likelihood of malicious tampering is all but eliminated. This makes technical controls, like disk encryption, risky as such technologies could make things like RMA, troubleshooting, etc. much more difficult and time-consuming.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats my understanding as well. I never heard of disk encryption for actual appliances, only endpoint.

Best,

Andy

Maybe someone can confirm if Im mistaken though.

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.40/SmartEndpoint_OLH/EN/Topics-EPSG/FDE-CPEncryptionPolicy-...

0 Kudos
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Reposting an answer from one of my colleagues:

Check Point Gaia is a hardened OS and intended for access by qualified and trained administrators only using strong authentication methods. They should also be installed in physically secure locations that are accessible only to trusted and authorized employees (R82 adds 2FA in Gaia)

Additionally all Check Point management traffic is strongly secured by SIC, providing confidentiality, integrity and MUTUAL authentication to management protocols over the network.

Assuming that these mitigating controls have been followed, the likelihood of malicious tampering is all but eliminated. This makes technical controls, like disk encryption, risky as such technologies could make things like RMA, troubleshooting, etc. much more difficult and time-consuming.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thanks for that explanation Tal.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events