Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marcel_Gramalla
Advisor
Jump to solution

Most URLs categorized as X-VPN this morning

Hi,

we encountered a big issue this morning as nearly all URLs were categorized as X-VPN application which is blocked in our rulebase because of the category (Anonymizer) and it's also set to critial risk.

Did you encounter the same and is there any official statement? It's obviously an issue with the database and the first time we see such an issue. 

(2)
65 Replies
SimonAmann
Explorer

Hi all,

we're also affected. 

Is there any statement from CheckPoint yet?

0 Kudos
dheidler
Explorer

Hi,

we also face this issue starting at around 03:40 AM (german time).

0 Kudos
Pedro_Madeira
Contributor

I just had a customer this morning with the same problem. 

we had to allow anonymizers in order to make traffic work properly.

HTTPS outbound for many sites was being categorized as Anonymizer with application name X-VPN. Customer is using full HTTPS Inspection as well.

0 Kudos
StackCap43382
Contributor
Contributor

For one customer the involvement of a 3rd Party Web proxy triggers this issue. 

Bypassed the issue is resolved. 

As other have done we have added an explicit ALLOW for the application while TAC investigate. 

CCSME, CCTE, CCME, CCVS
0 Kudos
Fr4nky
Explorer

I had the same problem with an hospital.

Please fix ASAP and give feedback .

Jan_Kleinhans
Advisor

Information about this problem is a little bit rare.

On support.checkpoint.com it says " 10:30GMT-We are aware of the X-VPN miscategorization in Application Control/URL Filtering blades. Working on mitigating it (will update every 30 min)." 

At 11:00 GMT The info is the same:

11:00GMT-We are aware of the X-VPN miscategorization in Application Control/URL Filtering blades. Working on mitigating it (will update every 30 min).

Where to find these updates? Why there is no offical information via product alert?

Regards,

Jan

_Val_
Admin
Admin

@Jan_Kleinhans I understand the frustration, but you just mentioned an official banner on support.checkpoint.com. 

0 Kudos
(2)
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

We had to authorise Anonymizer and Critical risk otherwise general traffic would still be blocked as X-VPN.

0 Kudos
KristofV
Collaborator

Problems seems to be resolved with the new update : DB version: 11042401

It's surprising how Check Point hasn't issued an official statement to customers and partners yet regarding this outage.

(1)
hammerli
Explorer

Same problem here after Application Control database auto update to version 24041001 (7042401). Apparently solved after manual updating to 24041101 (11042401).

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Updated manually to 240411110055 and looks OK since.

0 Kudos
TP_Master
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I can confirm that indeed from the last ~15 minutes this issue has been resolved, using the APPI package 11042401. 

Gateways will be updating according to their scheduled update policy. 

If you need to rush the update, please do the following on the security gateways:

- # rm $FWDIR/appi/update/Version
- # rm $FWDIR/appi/update/next_update
- Wait for 5 minutes.

A new dedicated sk182202 is now available for this issue.

An official and detailed RCA will follow.

Ofir Israel 

VP, Threat Prevention Check Point Software Technologies

P.S. We are aware that the fix seems to have not worked for a limited amount of our customers. We currently suspect this as a logging behavior where old connections have new sessions and are updated on the log view. If you encounter drops please let us know through a TAC ticket, we are monitoring the situation. 

(4)
Moti
Admin
Admin

Thanks Ofir !

Nenad_Odic
Contributor

it works now thanks

0 Kudos
LeontevAM
Explorer

Thanks 

[Expert@:0]# more Version
:appi_version ("110424_1")

0 Kudos
Christopher_Bar
Explorer

Mate this is a stellar failure on Checkpoints part. It clearly shows that there is no testing or woefully inadequate testing of URL+Category updates prior to releasing them, which If im honest is quite scary.

How am I supposed to have any trust or confidence in Checkpoint's automatic updates now that I know any junk can be pushed to my gateways.

Jennifer_Wilson
Contributor

Hi,

Gateways have the updated App DB, but logs in SMS server still showing lots of random rejects with apps identified as X-VPN.
BUT have not had any complaints from users, and have not seen anything rejected in my browser despite the logs showing several rejects for me today. It's almost like the logs are showing rejects that aren't happening.

Is there any web url that shows as always being rejected from this that I can test with?

0 Kudos
Mike-H
Explorer

I've just had it trigger on https://www.think-cell.com/en

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

All,

We released a new categorization package appi 24041101 which fixes the issue. The gateways will update automatically according to their schedule.

If you need to rush the update, please use the procedure from sk143972.

We are also working on a dedicated SK for this issue, I will share it when ready

(1)
Thomas_Eichelbu
Advisor

Hello Val, 

are  those update sent to all countries at the same time?
i see i have new updates on all my international sites.
but it only works for me in Austrian and German locations.
For example in Brasil and Vietnam i still see matches on X-VPN.

i know Check Point doesnt sent out Scan Engine updates to all continent at once for example.
does this also apply to APPL + URL Signatures?

take a look:
123.PNG
different countries different version, only the end 2401 is the same ...

0 Kudos
Pachango
Participant

Unfortunately there are multiple sites on 110424_1 & where sk182202 was followed but the traffic is still recognized as X-VPN... Any extra tips?

0 Kudos
(2)
bstorey
Explorer

We are also still having issues. We have followed the instructions in sk182202 and have confirmed that all gateways are now running at the latest version of application control. 

It has made some minor changes such as redirecting some traffic but overall, traffic is still being categorised as X-VPN and being blocked. 

0 Kudos
Albin
Contributor
Contributor

Could be some cache. Try reboot on standby member to clear caches. & failover. 

0 Kudos
Sajgon107
Explorer

The same problem in one our customer, any ideas please?

0 Kudos
(1)
Double
Explorer

This issue is continuing to affect us on multiple gateways, with unrelated traffic being misidentified as X-VPN application connections, despite all gateways having downloaded and installed the latest patched package version (110424_1) as outlined in the related support document (https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk182202)

0 Kudos
Collaborator

I noticed something that may help others as well.

Yesterday once the issue has been resolved and the new package released, I performed the Update of the Application Control & URL Filtering via SmartConsole. This resolved the issue on 2 out of 3 clusters. The 3rd cluster, although it had the same updated package version(110424_1) as the other gateways, was still dropping traffic.

So I performed the steps mentioned in https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk182202 and suddenly it worked. The package version was still the same but apparently there was a difference between updating via Mgmt and manually deleting the files.

Hope this helps anyone else

(1)
Jennifer_Wilson
Contributor

Cheers for that 796570686578!
Following SK182202 instructions on Gateways that were already showing as having upgraded to the new DB worked great..
No more X-VPN showing in logs a couple of minutes after running the instructions.
Regards,

Jen.

0 Kudos
kale24
Explorer

All gateways had the new file yet we still had to create the manual whitelist for X-VPN.
I then completed the SK article on ALL gateways (even ones not using the application blade) and only then did we stop seeing logs.
I will monitor to see if anymore appear but the trick is going through the SK regardless of the file date.

emilpersson
Explorer

All but two clusters got updated and automatically started working for me, the last two as you said stated correct version, but i still had to follow SK to get them working.

:appi_version ("110424_1")

0 Kudos
Pedro_Madeira
Contributor

I confirm this information from @kale24 . For some customers, I had to complete the SK regardless of the fact that the gateways already received the updated application control update version.

Only after going through the SK (no policy installation required at the end) I was able to solve the issue for a handful of customers.

Hope this helps other people.

Pedro Madeira

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events