Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bernardes
Advisor
Jump to solution

Is there any SSD vendor some incompatibility with Check Point appliances (23500) ?

Is there any SSD vendor some incompatibility with Check Point appliances (23500) ?

Can I use any SSD vendor?

Is there any vendor recommended for use?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Only disks supplied by Check Point are supported, please contact your local office / reseller for a quote.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE

View solution in original post

Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

It's actually illegal in the US and EU to void a warranty over aftermarket parts. The vendor must prove the aftermarket part caused the problem. If they do, they can void only the part of the warranty covering damage caused by the aftermarket part, and only until it is restored to functionality (that is, a repair restores the warranty). The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in the US is mostly brought up for cars, so that's where most of the caselaw is, but it actually applies to any warranty on any product sold in the US. I forget the name of the law in the EU, but it's even broader in scope.

The overwhelming majority of "Warranty void if seal broken" stickers are not binding.

To answer @Bernardes' question directly, if you have a support contract (and a 23500 is new enough to have one), it's easiest to just get drives from Check Point. If the device is already unsupported and you only care about getting it to work (e.g, to use a decommissioned box in a lab), any SATA SSD will work, but not SAS or NVMe. SATA SSDs don't all perform equally, of course. Pretty much any Intel S3_00, S3_10, S4_00, S4_10, any Samsung EVO, or any Micron drive should be great.

For anybody curious about what SSDs Check Point actually sells, I just checked 78 of my firewalls. 30 of them have a total of 40 SSDs:

• 6x Intel S4510 240 GB
  • 13x Intel S4610 240 GB
  • 4x Intel S4610 480 GB
  • 1x Samsung SM863 240 GB
  • 16x Samsung PM897 480 GB

The SM863 and one of the S4610 drives are in a pair of 6600 units ordered at the same time.

View solution in original post

(1)
9 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Apologies if I misunderstood your question, but are you asking if you can put in 3rd party SSD hard drive(s) into 23500 and if that would work?

0 Kudos
Bernardes
Advisor

Hello @the_rock. Exactly!

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Yes, so then @Chris_Atkinson told you exactly how it is. Yes, you CAN use 3rd party parts and yes, 100% it will work (seen it before many times), but no, its NOT supported and it 100% voids the warranty and anyone at CP would give you exact same answer.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Only disks supplied by Check Point are supported, please contact your local office / reseller for a quote.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
the_rock
Legend
Legend

To add to what Chris said, which btw is 100% true, by putting 3rd party accessories in CP firewalls, you actually void the warranty and therefore RMA, if one is ever needed. I had instance a while ago where customer told their SE on the phone they were going to do that as it was cheaper, but they were fully aware of consequences doing so. They went for it anyway, since it was a model they were not going to keep much longer. In my mind, as long as people know they would not get RMA done in that case and they still go for it anyway, its their choice -:)

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

It's actually illegal in the US and EU to void a warranty over aftermarket parts. The vendor must prove the aftermarket part caused the problem. If they do, they can void only the part of the warranty covering damage caused by the aftermarket part, and only until it is restored to functionality (that is, a repair restores the warranty). The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in the US is mostly brought up for cars, so that's where most of the caselaw is, but it actually applies to any warranty on any product sold in the US. I forget the name of the law in the EU, but it's even broader in scope.

The overwhelming majority of "Warranty void if seal broken" stickers are not binding.

To answer @Bernardes' question directly, if you have a support contract (and a 23500 is new enough to have one), it's easiest to just get drives from Check Point. If the device is already unsupported and you only care about getting it to work (e.g, to use a decommissioned box in a lab), any SATA SSD will work, but not SAS or NVMe. SATA SSDs don't all perform equally, of course. Pretty much any Intel S3_00, S3_10, S4_00, S4_10, any Samsung EVO, or any Micron drive should be great.

For anybody curious about what SSDs Check Point actually sells, I just checked 78 of my firewalls. 30 of them have a total of 40 SSDs:

• 6x Intel S4510 240 GB
  • 13x Intel S4610 240 GB
  • 4x Intel S4610 480 GB
  • 1x Samsung SM863 240 GB
  • 16x Samsung PM897 480 GB

The SM863 and one of the S4610 drives are in a pair of 6600 units ordered at the same time.

(1)
the_rock
Legend
Legend

@Bob_Zimmerman ...Im not a lwayer (never been one, never had interesto to ever become one either lol), but all I know is this. I had numerous CP SEs tell me in the past that doing this would actually void the warranty for their devices, meaning, if you acquire 3rd party accesorry and put in CP appliance, but that part is not officially listed on CP parts list, it 100% cancels the warranty on the firewall.

I personally highly doubt doing so would be illegal, as Im fairly certain any vendor would do the same, but again, not a lawyer, this is just from what I know and what was told.

0 Kudos
Bernardes
Advisor

@Bob_Zimmerman  thank you very much! It was very helpfully!

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Warranty is the wrong term here. Support status is the right one. Using non-supported parts may lead to a situation when the support contract will no longer cover the box. 

@Bob_Zimmerman if you want, I can consult with our legal department concerning this matter. 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events