Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_King
Explorer

set up virtual machine to configure a new firewall

In order to set up a new firewall, you typically use a computer on the same subnet.  For example, the new firewall is configured with 192.168.1.1, so you can use a notebook on the same sub net, say 192.168.1.50, and connect a network cable between the two.  Now,one can open a browser on the notebook and go to https://192.168.1.1 and get the web GUI for the firewall.

I don't have a spare notebook so I want to create a virtual machine (VMWare Workstation) on my existing desktop to help me configure the firewall.  I want to connect the new firewall to a switch or router on my home network and use this virtual machine to reach the web GUI.  I have not been able to make this work.  Can anyone provide guidance on how to configure the NIC on the virtual machine to allow for this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You have to use the "Virtual Network Editor" in VMware Workstation to set up your networking accordingly.

You want to create a "bridged" interface, similar to VMnet0 below.

You then connect the VM to that network and it will be on the same LAN as your desktop.

0 Kudos
Jeff_King
Explorer

Dameon,

Thanks, but I get a message about “…no un-bridged host network adapters.” Here is my set up:

1 Win 10 desktop on 192.168.1.13

VNet0 on 192.168.24.128, assigned to a virtual Win XP machine running on the Win 10 desktop.

UTM-1 FW, INT connection already configured on 192.168.24.1

Since I cannot set up a bridged connection I just tried it on the Vnet0, Host only setting. When I attempt to go to https://192.168.24.1, I get the typical warning about “…problem with certificate…” and then I proceed. This leads to a “…Error HTTP 403 Forbidden…” With both IE and Chrome, this indicates the ability to connect to the website, but no permission to view the web page. Any other thoughts?

Note: I do have a spare Win XP notebook that I have configured properly and connect directly to the UTM-1. However, I wanted to see if this could be done with a virtual machine instead.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Windows XP without SP3 installed cannot validate SHA256 certificates, which for R80.10, at least, is the default for the Gaia portal.

I'm guessing this is the issue. 

0 Kudos
Kim_Moberg
Advisor

Hi Jeff,

I found the following video guides from Youtube.

I managed to set it up like they explained.

First I had to create the networks via Virtual Network Editor.

VMnet0 runs bridged mode.

Then configure after the following steps.

Checkpoint VMWARE LAB setup and Cluster configuration Part 1 - YouTube 

Checkpoint VMWARE LAB setup and Cluster configuration Part 2 - YouTube 

Dameon Welch Abernathy‌ I managed to setup virtual lab with video guide above. Though I though the CheckMates Pro license would cover a cluster setup (sgw1 + sgw2 and sgwmgmt). is it true and one is only able to setup secure gateway running gateway magement server.

Any ways the CheckMates Pro license would also include a license to run seperate cluster nodes with and advanced networking (clusterXL) license?

Thanks

Kim

Best Regards
Kim
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I'll have to double check what we're giving out here license-wise.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events