Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

VSX sync interfaces

VSX Cluster setup...

configuring cluster ip, gateway members and sync network(ip addresses)

it all went well. but in the provisioning step. it threw an error regarding SYNC interface.

now when i ssh to the 1st members where sync is "working" and i issue "show configuration" it says

set interface Mgmt state on
set interface Mgmt auto-negotiation on
set interface Mgmt ipv4-address 10.10.101.32 mask-length 24
set interface Sync state on
set interface Sync mtu 1500
set interface Sync ipv4-address 5.1.1.2 mask-length 30

So thats fine.

when i ssh to the 2nd member it only shows this

set interface Mgmt state on
set interface Mgmt auto-negotiation on
set interface Mgmt ipv4-address 10.10.101.33 mask-length 24
set interface Sync state off

How do i get around to fix that?

ive have already tried issuing commands like

set interface Sync state on

set interface Sync mtu 1500
set interface Sync ipv4-address 5.1.1.3 mask-length 30

it just doesnt work. saving the config works(it throws no errors)
if i do a show configuration afterwards then it doesnt show what i just added.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

@skandshus In a VSX environment don‘t change these via CLI, configure everything via SmartConsole. Your sync subnet is 5.1.1.0/30

network is 5.1.1.0

host IPs are 5.1.1.1 and 5.1.1.2

broadcast is 5.1.1.3

I never used such a small sync net, maybe you have to use a little bit larger subnet but you can try if you use the right host IPs.

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

well you cant change/add SYnc range/addresses in smartconsole unfortunately.. 

besides. in smart console the ip address of the sync interface actually shows.
See attached 🙂

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

5.1.1.3 is definitely the high broadcast address on the 5.1.1.0/30 network. That would be why the assignment on the actual member failed. I guess SmartConsole doesn't check for that.

This is a new cluster, right? If the cluster object has been built, I would delete it and set it up again from scratch.

One other concern: 5.1.1.3 is a public, routable IP. Unless you're working for PJSC Datagroup in Ukraine, you do not own this public IP. It is generally a bad idea to use routable IPs for sync, and it's a terrible idea to use routable IPs which you don't own internally for any purpose.

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

i know. i just inserted something since the Sync cable are direct connected so now in anyway connected to the network, so to say.

but yeah i can change it.. but i think i need to delete the cluster.

do you know how i proceed on that? because i have 2 cluster members. so i cannot remove them. if i try to delete cluster i cant because it has "members". if i try to delete the members i cant because they are in use by the cluster..

this is newly built because i had an issue in the cluster so i had to Reset them to make them "work" actually..

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

Do you have any idea on how to change the addresses after they were set?

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

@skandshus remove the existing sync interface and add a new one with the correct IP addresses. Push vsx configuration then install  policy.

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

The "delete" button in smart console is grayed out.. is it supposed to be done another way?

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Is it R81 T44?

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

Take 22 🙂

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

to manage VSX you will need to use command line toolset vsx_util:

Commands:
vsx_util reconfigure # Restores VSX configuration on gateway.
vsx_util upgrade # Upgrades gateway/cluster version.
vsx_util add_member # Adds a cluster member.
vsx_util remove_member # Removes a cluster member.
vsx_util change_private_net # Changes the cluster private network.
vsx_util change_mgmt_ip # Changes the management IP of a member/gateway.
vsx_util change_mgmt_subnet # Changes (or Adds) the management IP of a cluster/gateway to a new subnet.
vsx_util change_interfaces # Changes between selected interfaces on all Virtual Devices.
vsx_util vsls # VS Load Sharing configuration menu - status, redistribute, configuration export/import.
vsx_util convert_cluster # Converts the ClusterXL mode between High Availability and VS Load Sharing.
vsx_util view_vs_conf # View Virtual Device configuration on Management versus VSX gateways.
vsx_util show_interfaces # Shows configuration of selected interfaces.

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

i just cant find the specific command for editing/changing sync interfaces. do you know which commands is needed there?

mgmt server is 10.10.101.20

the gateway with wrong sync address/interface is 10.10.101.33

do you know if i could possible type vsx_util change_interfaces -s 10.10.101.20 -u admin -m GW6200B

Gw6200B= the physical hardware with wrong sync address

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

When you create a new VSX cluster, you will only have to configure Mgmt interface IP via CLISH/WebUI on all cluster members. Rest is left blank including Sync. Wizard will take care of that.

Did you create VSX gateway or cluster initially?

image.png

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

Thank you for your assistance so far. Much appreciated

I chose the VSX>Cluster and the VSX cluster platform was ClusterXL virtual system load sharing.

then i added members and also added the sync address

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

In that case wizard did not complete quite well - you should have seen IP addresses on both Sync interfaces.

I would suggest to wipe VSX completely from SmartConsole

Then run reset_gw on both members (to remove all VSX config and reset SIC)

Make sure that Sync interfaces are UP and connected

Run VSX cluster wizard again with bigger mask for Sync, say 29

Alternatively you can play with vsx_util commands on management server plus check locally on the gateway:

head -10 $FWDIR/state/local/VSX/local.vsall

image.png

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

i dont know if im misunderstanding something or just explaining myself wrong 🙂

But i cant wipe/remove cluster or cluster member from smartconsole..  because there is only 2 members, and minimum is 2. so it prevents me from deleting.

If i try to delete member gateway i cant. error is= referenced by other object.. which is the cluster that references is.. if i then try to delete the cluster. it gives error because it has members..

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Sorry missed that in the thread. Strange - removing the whole cluster should work as far as I can see it in our R80.40.

Can you share a screenshot when you try to delete whole VSX cluster?

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

here they are. Of course cluster cant be deleted beause it has members... and members cant be deleted because they are in use by the cluster  🙂

i cant manually open the cluster and "remove" a member because it only has 2 members which is the bare minimum, so i get some how "stuck"

so i have no idea how to "completely reset/start over" properly.

1.PNG2.PNG

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Make sure your cluster/members are not used in a policy rule and installation targets.

0 Kudos
skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

that is already cleared unfortunately 😞

if i click "where used"  no policy or otherwise is shown.. only the cluster membership 😞

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

wow, sounds like a bug to me if the only place the gateway object is used is in the cluster itself 🙂 TAC!

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events