Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matlu
Advisor
Jump to solution

URL Filtering by FQDN or Customize APPLICATION/SITE

Hello, Mates.

In production environments, and based on your experiences, is it better to use "Customize Application/Site", than to use "DOMAINS" objects, for what corresponds to URL "Filtering"?

I have an environment where I have active Firewall/APPC/URL blades.

And I want to allow the access of 1 server with IP 172.17.20.20 to domains such as "https://hsploit.com" and "https://quay.io".

What is the most viable option to use? Since I understand that the 2 ways, I can guarantee the access uniquely to those URLs for that server.

Is there a hardware performance consideration when using one or the other method?

Thanks for your comments.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

FQDN objects have a universally low performance impact, and they work for any protocol. The downside is the domain names must be fully-qualified. They are also sensitive to the DNS resolution path (if clients use different resolvers from the firewalls, they may not agree on the IPs for a given FQDN). Edit: I had forgotten that FQDNs can also be used as a source in a rule; this isn't common, but it is possible.

URL Filtering can deal with subdomains, and it’s totally insensitive to DNS differences. It actually looks at the name as learned via HTTP calls or the TLS negotiation. The downside is this only works for HTTP-based protocols (won’t work for SFTP, for example), and it has a bigger performance impact (especially when you try to match a bunch of subdomains).

URL Filtering also has a mild security impact in that connections have to be allowed pretty broadly, since the server name is typically learned well after the SYN. Some vulnerability scanners are likely to complain about this. Explaining it over and over to regulatory compliance authorities gets old. It’s not necessarily a significant issue as long as you construct your policy well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

This is just me, but personally, I always recommend people to use domain objects if its fully qualified domain in question OR say if you want to allow multiple services, otherwise, custom site is fine, but you need to have urlf+appc enabled in the layer itself and as the blade, of course.

Andy

0 Kudos
Matlu
Advisor

Buddy,

What do you mean by "Fully Qualified Domain"?

Is it important to know how to recognize such a domain? In the example of a URL like https://hsploit.com, how could you "determine or consider" that the domain is "Fully Qualified"?
I understand that this is indispensable to use DOMAINS objects.

Now, if you work with these objects, is it always "preferable" to do it by selecting the FQDN checkbox?

What leaves me doubts, is if it is "guaranteed" to use the DOMAIN, because there are occasions that some pages sometimes load and sometimes not, and I suspect that this is related to a DNS issue (something that DOMAIN works with).

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend
0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

It's actually slightly wrong on a point which is relevant here. Ultimately, a fully-qualified domain name has an A, AAAA, or CNAME record in DNS. It doesn't matter how many domain components you have. The DNS root isn't ever fully-qualified. I'm actually not sure if a TLD like "com." could be fully-qualified (I haven't ever seen one which is, but I don't know of anything which would prohibit it from ever being set up that way). "networksolutions.com." has two A records, so it is fully-qualified.

An FQDN must be complete and exact. It can't include every subdomain under it. For example, "time.windows.com." and "windows.com." are fully-qualified, while "*.windows.com." is not.

"hsploit.com." is a fully-qualified name. Building a domain object with that FQDN will match traffic to (or from) the single IP address it currently resolves to, but won't match traffic to (or from) subdomains under it.

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

FQDN objects have a universally low performance impact, and they work for any protocol. The downside is the domain names must be fully-qualified. They are also sensitive to the DNS resolution path (if clients use different resolvers from the firewalls, they may not agree on the IPs for a given FQDN). Edit: I had forgotten that FQDNs can also be used as a source in a rule; this isn't common, but it is possible.

URL Filtering can deal with subdomains, and it’s totally insensitive to DNS differences. It actually looks at the name as learned via HTTP calls or the TLS negotiation. The downside is this only works for HTTP-based protocols (won’t work for SFTP, for example), and it has a bigger performance impact (especially when you try to match a bunch of subdomains).

URL Filtering also has a mild security impact in that connections have to be allowed pretty broadly, since the server name is typically learned well after the SYN. Some vulnerability scanners are likely to complain about this. Explaining it over and over to regulatory compliance authorities gets old. It’s not necessarily a significant issue as long as you construct your policy well.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events