Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Route based to domain based VPN community conversion

Hey guys,

Im fairly sure the only way to convert from route based to domain based community is either to delete it and set up brand new one OR change tunnel management option, remove VTIs on OS level, update topology and rules (if needed) and install the policy.

Or, is there another, maybe better way? Customer asked me this question, as they had so many issues with route based VPN tunnels (after probably 6-7 TAC cases and they went nowhere), so they want to try domain based community instead.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas. Sadly, I dont have all the details, but from what I understand, it was mostly related to routing/failover between DR site and satellites.

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

I'm definitely curious about the problems they've seen with route-based VPNs. My experience is the exact opposite: route-based VPNs are so much better than domain-based that I'm amazed they aren't the default recommendation.

Going from route-based to domain-based is pretty easy. All it would take is setting up the encryption domain on one or both ends (depending on whether only one or both are set to use an empty group), removing the VTI from the CLI and firewall object topology table, then pushing policy. You definitely wouldn't need to tweak any rules, since route-based VPNs don't match the VPN community, so all the rules' VPN columns must already be set to "Any Traffic".

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thank you @Bob_Zimmerman . I will inquire more about the issues. Honestly, I also never had any problems with route based tunnels, they seem to work so much better.

Will update once I get more details.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I got bit more info...here is their response:

Failover is normally fine when initiated, however failback is usually a problem specifically when the link is utilized for extended period. If I failover straight away it seems to work ok.

I’m wondering if the tunnel expires during long periods and pings can’t make it across the tunnel when attempting to failback.

I asked them for the network diagram that would make this even more simplified, but to me, sounds like when there is one fw with the issue or it has to be rebooted, failover to next one works fine, but then failback is where the issue occurs.

Andy

0 Kudos
emmap
Employee
Employee

Are they talking there about cluster failover or using dynamic routing to fail between two VTIs? Probably it needs a big ol' configuration review to make sure everything's up to spec. 

To answer the question though you basically have to start fresh. Remove tunnel interfaces, remove them from the topology, set VPN domains on local gateway and interoperable devices, etc. 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Im still waiting for all the details, but yes, Im talking about cluster failover/failback.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

@emmap and @Bob_Zimmerman 

I will speak with customer today about unrelated issue, so will ask them again about this. Sorry for the delay and thanks as always for helping.

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events