Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orion_son30
Contributor
Jump to solution

Power control after energy failure

Hi,

This is a question that seems dumb, but I honestly don't know what to reply to my end customer. 

Basically, he wants to control the poweron of the machine after the energy onsite is down. He does not want the Security Gateway to boot up automatically after the energy is back.

I've searched on the documentation and I did not find anything about this. My first guess is that this is not possible. It seems obvious to me, but I can understand that the fact the he environment of one of the sites of my customer is not particular stable, regarding the power conditions, can make him trying to find some kind of solution to avoid to deal with a corrupted gateway or event damaged after multiple events with the energy onsite.

Anyone can clarify this one?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
orion_son30
Contributor

Hi,

This is the TAC final answer about this:

"Hope all is well. we have tested on our appliances and found no setting in the bios setting that could give us our desired results. 

--Let me know if any further questions"

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I dont think thats dumb question at all, its totally valid, but as you said, its most likely not possible. If I were you, I would open TAC case to get an official response, but Im willing to bet they would tell you pretty much the same thing.

Andy

0 Kudos
orion_son30
Contributor

I've said dumb, beacause at first I was trying to understand the mindset behind the fact that you don't want that your Security Gateway boots up automatically after an energy failure onsite.Then, after listen to my end customer and after thinking about the issue, I can see and understand the issue. I still think that it does not make sense for a Firewall vendor to implement something like that, since there are multiple solutions to address this on the market, but I since I did not find any reference to this on the documentation, I'm just asking to see if anyone had the same question over the time.

Thanks Andy.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Well, Im not a lawyer, never been one, know absolutely nothing about the subject, but to me, that may also fall into some legal trouble possibly, if vendor was to give such a suggestion. Because, if you think about it, what can stop someone from suing a company later arguing that they lost so much money because fw's got corrupted due to advice they were given, right?

I dont know, just "throwing" some scenarious out there...personally, in all my years with CP, I never had anyone ask me that.

Andy

0 Kudos
orion_son30
Contributor

Yup. I share the same vision. I understand the issue from the customer point of view, but I just don't see the point for a vendor to implement something like this.

Well, I think I will follow your suggestion and ask the TAC, just to have an official reply.

Thanks again Andy.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

The best abbreviation in IT world, though this can apply generally in life...CYA...cover your a** : - )

Andy

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

At a technical level, it's definitely possible. It's controlled by a setting in the boot ROM. Access to those settings on Check Point branded hardware is controlled by a password, and the TAC probably won't give that password to you, but they may give it to your SE to let them make this change.

You could also just use open servers, and have full control over the system.

orion_son30
Contributor

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your insight on this. I don't think that will help my end customer. The most probable outcome of all of this is he asking us to disable such thing if we were able to deploy it on the first place. 🙂 If it was something supported on the Product Level, then fine, but when is something related with the system Level I'm a little bite reluctant to change. 

Regarding the open server suggestion, my end custmor has a paior of QLS250 for less than two years and is happy with them. I don't think that a change to open servers just because of this is even worth to think about.

Thanks again for your knowledge.

Regards,

César Santos

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Just to make sure we have the fact right, I gather from all you said your customer is looking for a way that if site where firewalls are loses power, when it comes back on that firewalls do NOT power on automatically, right?

If thats the case, if I were you, as I mentioned before, I would open TAC case and ask exactly that and see what they say.

Just my honest suggestion.

Andy

0 Kudos
orion_son30
Contributor

Hi Andy,

Yes, you're right. That is exactly want he wants.

I'll open a TAC case, as you've suggested.

Kind Regards,

César Santos

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Sounds like a good plan...keep us posted what they say, Im super curious. Though I never had anyone ask me this question, its really interesting one.

Andy

0 Kudos
orion_son30
Contributor

Hi,

This is the TAC final answer about this:

"Hope all is well. we have tested on our appliances and found no setting in the bios setting that could give us our desired results. 

--Let me know if any further questions"

Regards

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Guess thats the answer then 🙂

Andy

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Well, when you buy Check Point's branded hardware, you pay today's pricing for decade-old specs, and you get weird limitations like this. At least the QLS250 is priced decently.

The only place to change this is in the boot ROM's configuration. On branded servers, that's behind a password which support does not share.

The QLS250 uses SSDs, so there's no real potential for problems with the physical drives; the only potential corruption is within the filesystem (either lv_current or lv_log). Snapshots let you fix problems with lv_current, and corrupted data in lv_log doesn't matter. Just keep at least two snapshots at any time, set up LOM access (so you can access the boot menu to revert from there in case the system doesn't boot), and you'll be fine.

0 Kudos
orion_son30
Contributor

Bob, I'm with you. I'm aware that the main potential problem is the corruption of the filesystem in the event of the Gateway continues to reboot due to energy problems onsite. Also, I'm aware how to kind of mitigate that risk. 🙂

I'm just trying to double check the question of my end customer, because I need to be honest and admit that he caught me off guard when he've asked me this.

Kind regards

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Honesty is always the best policy!

0 Kudos
Lesley
Advisor
Advisor

Maybe search for something like this  Remote Controlled Power Outlets with Metering

maybe there is one that support the request you have

-------
If you like this post please give a thumbs up(kudo)! 🙂
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events