cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gemechisd
Contributor

Packet Analysing

Hello All,

We have faced an issue for one of our services we have from DMZ Zone to Internal. The issue is that from 100 requests sent to the internal server some requests getting a response within 2-4 minutes. But the fast ones will get with 2 seconds. And we have tried bypassing our checkpoint firewall and all 100 requests gets a response every 2 seconds. We have checked on our checkpoint rule but can't find thing. Below is a packet capture from different servers. If someone can help in finding the differences between the captures.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I will download and have a look. Can you please indicate src and dst IP?

Andy

0 Kudos
(1)
gemechisd
Contributor

@the_rock 

Thanks for the quick reply. All SRC & DST IP's are on the captured packets. 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

K, sounds good! Just finishing up an Azure lab, will check soon.

Andy

0 Kudos
(1)
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I checked few streams and to me, appears server is NOT sending syn-ack, which it should

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
gemechisd
Contributor

Okay. Thanks.

May be can you check the one named with Server2 and server 2 - retried

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Of course I can. I got a call in 20 mins, but can also check it while on that call, but let me do it now.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Well, one seems worse, as it shows syn and syn-ack absent. The send one is the same.

Maybe do capture like this, dont output into a file and see what you get

Idea is (srcip,srcport,dstip,dstport, protocol), 

So, in your case, lets say port is 443, lets pretend ip's are 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2

fw monitor -F "1.1.1.1,0,2.2.2.2,443,0" -F "2.2.2.2,0,1.1.1.1,443,0"

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

 You can also do zdebug as below, just replace with right IPs

fw ctl zdebug + drop | grep x.x.x.x | grep y.y.y.y

fw ctl debug 0 to turn off debugs

0 Kudos
gemechisd
Contributor

so, which server is not sending proper ack/syn messages?

And what do you suggest

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I cant recall now, can check again soon. Do you have working capture?

0 Kudos
gemechisd
Contributor

right now not. but i can do early morning

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Just finished my call, let me check again.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Every packet I check, you see this.

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
gemechisd
Contributor

@the_rock 

Is it possible to only allow the access on Network only. I mean with out Application and URL for this specific rule.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Yes, 100%. If you have say 2 ordered layers, just make sure its allowed on both, but 2nd layer can have any any allow at the bottom, but be configured for urlf+app  blades.

Andy

0 Kudos
gemechisd
Contributor

Ok. We have suspected that if there is any URL/Application control is blocking it. And If there is any filtering on it.

As I told you yesterday when we do the capture from campus network (Bypassing Checkpoint) all requests are getting the response with in seconds. Sample is 100 request

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Here is good reference for the layered rules. I have real good document I made about it, but its on my work laptop, so can send tomorrow.

Andy

All you need to remember is this...IF there are multiple ordered layers, traffic has to be accepted on ALL of them.

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Topics/What-is-the-point-of-ordered-layers-for-Accept-ru...

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

If you send a screenshot oh how policy layers are configured, I can tell you if something is wrong. Just blur out any sensitive details.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Hey mate,

Since Im just watching some Euro cup football (or as our American friends call it soccer (well us Canadians too : - ), which I think is incorrect, as you play it with your feet lol), but anyway, cheering for Croatia, which is getting destroyed by Spain, as they are closest to where I grew up, Montenegro, and we did not even qualify, since we SUCK lol

Anywho, I attached a document with layred rules examples from my lab. If you need help or not clear, let me know, we can do remote session.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
gemechisd
Contributor

@the_rock 
I have executed fw ctl zdebug + drop | grep x.x.x.x | grep y.y.y.y during the capture by replacing the IP's, but there is no rule that can drop this connection.

0 Kudos
gemechisd
Contributor

@the_rock 

Thanks for the support. The problem is found at the destination side, there is a retransmission configuration and we have disabled that one. Now everything is working fine.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events