Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dor_Marcovitch
Advisor
Jump to solution

Link State Monitor

hey

how can i follow link state messages on gaia ?

i would like to disconnect a NIC and get t message on which NIC state went down & up.

i used to do it with mii-tools but its not available anymore

what command do you suggest to use ? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

I assume you are referring to the --watch option of mii_tool which is no longer available.

A couple possible ways to proceed:

1) All link state changes are logged to syslog on the gateway by default.  If the gateway syslog server is configured to forward all its entries (or just the ones you want) to an external syslog server such as Splunk, that system could watch for these link state change events and fire the alert you want.

2) You can also create a custom SNMP trap to do this from the Gaia web interface, you'll just need to figure out the OID for a link state change in the proper MIB.

3) Also check out the threshold_config command mentioned in sk90860 which may be able to do what you want.

4) Finally you could configure forwarding of all gateway syslog logs into the normal Check Point logging mechanism as specified in sk102995, then configure an Automatic Reaction in SmartEvent if you have that product available in your environment.

--
My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"
now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

I assume you are referring to the --watch option of mii_tool which is no longer available.

A couple possible ways to proceed:

1) All link state changes are logged to syslog on the gateway by default.  If the gateway syslog server is configured to forward all its entries (or just the ones you want) to an external syslog server such as Splunk, that system could watch for these link state change events and fire the alert you want.

2) You can also create a custom SNMP trap to do this from the Gaia web interface, you'll just need to figure out the OID for a link state change in the proper MIB.

3) Also check out the threshold_config command mentioned in sk90860 which may be able to do what you want.

4) Finally you could configure forwarding of all gateway syslog logs into the normal Check Point logging mechanism as specified in sk102995, then configure an Automatic Reaction in SmartEvent if you have that product available in your environment.

--
My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"
now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
aner_sagi
Contributor

TIl -f /var/log/messages

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events