Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Di_Junior
Advisor
Advisor

Issues migrating from Cisco ASA to Check Point

Hi Mates

Just to give more information about the issue I am facing with a customer network.

We are migrating the infrastructure from Cisco ASA to Check Point Firewall, everything seems to be working fine but we have this problem that I need help on how I can achieve the same cenario using Check Point. We are using R80.20

NET DIAGRAM.PNG

There is sit-to-site VPN between the Cisco Router and Check Point. the machines on Networks C and D must communicate with the machines in Networks A and B (vice-versa) using this site-to-site VPN between Check Point and Cisco Router. In addition to that, Networks C and D must also go to the internet through the site-to-site VPN with Check Point that is connected to the internet. 

The site-to-site VPN tunel is closed using the Ips: X.X.X.1 from the Firewall and the Peer is X.X.X.2, in order to allow communication between the Networks A and B and Networks C and D, I am doing NAT on the Firewall. Hence, if a host on network A is trying to connect to the Host on network C, the IP of the host in the network A is NATted to the Firewalls IP (X.X.X.1) and vice-versa.

So we have this cenario:

1. Networks C and D area able to communicate with Network A and B, and they are also going to the internet through the tunel.
  2. Network A and B are able to access the internet as well using the F.F.F.2

Problem

1. Network A and B are ONLY able to ping Network C and D, and nothing else. You cannot run RDP or SSH from Network A and B to networks C and D.
  2. There are some services on Network C that are published on the Internet; these services are also not working.
  3. Another issue that I will be facing too is the fact that with Cisco ASA, they have different site-to-site VPN with their partners using point-to-point links, how can I have Check Point having multiple site-to-site VPN using different interfaces. For example, there is tunnel with Cisco router using X.X.X.1 address, and another tunel with the partner using the F.F.F.1.

Your help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

9 Replies
KennyManrique
Advisor

Hi Di,

Regarding your questions:

1. Have you verified the crypto map on Cisco's side? Also the inspection parameters for encrypted traffic?

2. I suppose you're using Domain based VPN, where only the shared networks would bring up the tunnel. You should use an universal tunnel (a tunnel for each pair of Gateways with Internet routing defined on Community) with proper ACL on Cisco's side (https://community.cisco.com/t5/vpn-and-anyconnect/default-route-inside-site-to-site-vpn-tunnel/td-p/...) or switch to Route based VPN instead; both options in order to allow required internet access for networks C and D. NAT also plays an important role, all rules probably must be set manually on Check Point GW.

3. As long you have a route through the right interface, you can create VPN tunnels on point to point links without issues. You can use the Link Selection's option "Calculate IP based on network topology". Obviously all your peers should point to the Check Point gateway instead Cisco router.

Di_Junior
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Kenny

1. Have you verified the crypto map on Cisco's side? Also the inspection parameters for encrypted traffic?

On Cisco S«side the crypto map we have only the Network C and D subnets. And on Check Point I have "All IP addresses behind the clusyter....."

Where can I check the inspection parameters for encrypted traffic? 

2. I suppose you're using Domain based VPN, where only the shared networks would bring up the tunnel. You should use an universal tunnel (a tunnel for each pair of Gateways with Internet routing defined on Community) with proper ACL on Cisco's side (https://community.cisco.com/t5/vpn-and-anyconnect/default-route-inside-site-to-site-vpn-tunnel/td-p/...) or switch to Route based VPN instead; both options in order to allow required internet access for networks C and D. NAT also plays an important role, all rules probably must be set manually on Check Point GW.

Yes I am using Domain based VPN. I am thinking about switching to Route based VPN, any special recommendations about route-based VPN.

3. As long you have a route through the right interface, you can create VPN tunnels on point to point links without issues. You can use the Link Selection's option "Calculate IP based on network topology". Obviously all your peers should point to the Check Point gateway instead Cisco router.

So in this case create VPN tunnels using route based VPN right?

Thank you

Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

In this environment I would for sure check out VTI's and run dynamic routing across them.
On top of that why are you using hide NAT between the to area's when you have routing setup already? It just does not make sense and it makes troubleshooting more difficult.
Regards, Maarten
Di_Junior
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Maarten

The customer does not use dynamic routing protocols, it only uses static routing.
The hide NAT was configured to give the Network C and D access to the internet. Any other sugestion?

Thanks
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

I said you CAN use dynamic routing, in this case static routing will also work.
The hide NAT in this case is best done on the CP, not on the Cisco.
Regards, Maarten
Di_Junior
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Maarten

NAT is being done by Check Point.
0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

So again when using the IPSEC why use NAT inside that tunnel?
And on another point there why use a tunnel at all?
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Di_Junior
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Maarten

For some reason the customer used to have tunel internally because the Core Switch and the firewall is housed in a Datacenter outside their control.

You are correct about doing NAT inside the tunel, i will check the possibility of stopping doing NAT.

Just a random question:
I am trying to figured out of VTI works, and there is something that I wish to understand. in Check Point documentation they say VPN Tunel ID must be the same on both ends. I am trying to implement VTI with Cisco, how can I achieve this?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events