cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elias
Contributor
Jump to solution

IPS Protection - Scrambling

Hi team, I search information about IPS protection Scrambling but , I find nothing, what does this DNS protection refer to?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

From memory this relates to cache poisoning mitigations

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.20/SmartConsole_OLH/EN/html_frameset.htm?topic=documents/R8...

Refer also: sk35624, sk106246, sk107527

Scrambling.png

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE

View solution in original post

(1)
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Never enable this protection.  Along with Network Quota and Small PMTU, enabling any of these will cause all traffic traversing the gateway to go F2F/slowpath!  

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

(1)
5 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

From memory this relates to cache poisoning mitigations

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.20/SmartConsole_OLH/EN/html_frameset.htm?topic=documents/R8...

Refer also: sk35624, sk106246, sk107527

Scrambling.png

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
(1)
Elias
Contributor

Thank you 

0 Kudos
michaelgo
Employee
Employee

I do not want to sound rude, but why did you ask? The protection indicates critical performance impact together with low confidence and low severity which must be a very strong indication that you should never enable it for multiple reasons (see response from Timothy_Hall for example).

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Never enable this protection.  Along with Network Quota and Small PMTU, enabling any of these will cause all traffic traversing the gateway to go F2F/slowpath!  

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
(1)
_Val_
Admin
Admin

This is one of the legacy IPS features that should have been dropped ages ago. It is about manipulating some parameters of IP packet to scramble certain signs of the OS you are using. The last time it was relevant was in the early 90s of the last century. 

As mentioned multiple times here, don't even think about enabling it 🙂

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events