cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dphonovation
Collaborator

Automatic HIDE NAT for BGP Failover without ISP Redundancy

Hello fellow Checkpointers,

I have two ISPs with a peer on each side providing me a default gateway via BGP. (I also advertise 4 different ranges to them)

Since it's BGP, the documentation is quite clear that "ISP Redundancy does not support dynamic routing protocols" - so using it is out of the question.

I imagined weighting the peers so that ISP1-Peer is preferred over ISP2-Peer.

This means I would be receiving 2 advertisements for 0.0.0.0/0, one from each peer. ISP1-Peer's route would be installed unless it goes down, in which case ISP2-Peers default advertisement would be installed into the routing table.

Then I run into a NAT problem? (For now I'm just trying to NAT behind the gateways real address, not any of my BGP addresses). I'm used to doing manual NAT rules.

I've been doing some reading on how ISP Redundancy does this in sk174197  and sk34812.

In an attempt to recreate this myself, I tried enabling "Automatic Address Translation Rules" for each of my cluster members and selecting "Hide behind gateway".

This installs a machine hide nat rule with:

Orig Src     |      Orig Dest     |     Orig Svc    |                  Trans Source                     |      Trans Dest     |   Trans Service

fw1-obj                   any                   any                     fw1-obj (Hiding Address)                  Original                Original

But when I push policy, policy verification fails with: "Module fw1-obj cannot have a NAT rule installed on 'All', the module cannot translate its own address".

And now I'm fairly confused on how to accomplish this. Would appreciate some guidance from those smarter than I.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
dphonovation
Collaborator

I was trying this through the cluster member properties window.

It appears I can use the automatic hide object for a given network/host object - but then I can't really organize the NAT screen into my own sections.

Once I set it on a network for "Hide Behind Gateway", it appears to be using the firewall members Cluster VIP on the WAN interface of ISP-Peer-1 (the current active default route) - so I would assume if the default route failed over to ISP-Peer-2 - it would flip to that.

So I guess the question becomes - is it possible to configure what "Automatic Hide NAT" does - but manually?

I also tried the LocalMachine dynamic object as cited by @PhoneBoy suggested in this thread: https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/SMB-Gateways-Spark/Hide-NAT-using-quot-Interface-quot-object/m-p... but to no avail

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

You can configure that settiong manually, but when you enable it through the object itself, it places rule(s) on its own in NAT rule base.

0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

Forgive my ignorance, how does one accomplish creating a Manual Hide NAT rule in the same way Automatic hide nat rules behind "Gateway" are done?

The abstraction of "use whatever ip is on the interface it gets sent out on" is what I'm after.

It's been a tough week 😞

0 Kudos
Lloyd_Braun
Collaborator

You used to be able to configure hide NAT for 0.0.0.0 to hide NAT behind the interface that you are exiting. I have not tried that in a few versions so your mileage may vary. Looks like it is not recommended anymore: Using a "Hide behind IP address 0.0.0.0" as the translated source object (checkpoint.com)

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

No ignorance, all good, happy new year btw! Anyhow, what you can do to follow my example is pick random subnet, enable hide nat option and you will see 2 rules added in NAT rulebase, that will give you an idea.

Andy

0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

Thanks.

So what I get with using the Automatic Hide NAT behind gateway option using a given subnet is something like this:

Orig Src     |      Orig Dest     |     Orig Svc    |                  Trans Source                          |      Trans Dest     |   Trans Service

SubnetA               SubnetA            any                                  Original                                       Original                Original

SubnetA                  any                   any                     (H) Subnet A (Hiding Address)             Original                Original

When I try to recreate this manually:

Orig Src     |      Orig Dest     |     Orig Svc    |                  Trans Source                          |      Trans Dest     |   Trans Service

SubnetA               SubnetA            any                                  Original                                       Original                Original

SubnetA                  any                   any                              (H) Subnet A                                  Original                Original

I get "Invalid Object Subnet A in Translated Source of Address Translation Rule. Valid objects are host, gateway, gateway cluster, router, dynamic object and address range with one object.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You have not properly recreated the automatic NAT rule.
The "hiding address" is set on the object itself in the case of an automatic rule.
In the case of a manual HIDE NAT, the translated source NAT field needs to specify an object that resolves to either a single IP (like a gateway object) or an address range.

0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

Well if I set a single IP - I will break connectivity if I fail over to ISP2.

If I select an address range with both my WAN interfaces - it is liable to select one that isn't UP.

Does this mean I can't recreate the behavior of Automatic NAT Hide behind Gateway with Manual NAT Hide?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I see one of two possibilities:

• Try using a HIDE NAT address of 0.0.0.0 to see if it works
  • Write a script to monitor which ISP is active and have it change a Dynamic Object that you create and set the IP to and use in your NAT policy. This is more or less exactly what ISP Redundancy does. 

Dynamic Objects are defined in the Access Policy.
The contents of that object are set using the dynamic_objects CLI command in Expert Mode on the relevant gateways.
More information on the dynamic_objects command: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

This SK seems to suggest you can set a Dynamic Object to 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 (done as part of an ISP Redundancy configuration): See: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Some options in no particular order for lab testing might be:

- Try using Zone objects with your NAT policy (different zone for each interface/ISP)

- NAT using an object 0.0.0.0 to dynamically pickup the local interface address

- Try Dynamic objects like LocalMachine

- NAT using addresses from the advertised subnets

- Use a router external to CP to host the ISP connections 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

Thanks for all the ideas.

@Chris_Atkinson wrote:

Some options in no particular order for lab testing might be:

- Try using Zone objects with your NAT policy (different zone for each interface/ISP)

I don't even get the option to select a zone in Translated Source

- NAT using an object 0.0.0.0 to dynamically pickup the local interface address

I thought this was no longer recommended as mentioned here: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

- Try Dynamic objects like LocalMachine

I tried this but I got warnings like "Dynamic Object localmachine is used in the policy but not defined on the security gateway". Which lead me to: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

.. which I tried and then I got policy installation errors: "Failed to find a dynamic interface on DAIP module"

- NAT using addresses from the advertised subnets

This is an option

- Use a router external to CP to host the ISP connections 

While this makes sense I'd like to avoid it. The CP will be terminating VPNs and I have a need to steer traffic down a specific VPN tunnel which will become problematic. Nevermind adding routing complexity. 2 of the CPs actually live on a different physical sites and what I intend to happen if the interlink goes down is: Side1 can only communicate with ISP1 and Side2 can only communicate with ISP2.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Note using Zones in the NAT policy requires Management version R81 or higher. 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

I'm 81.10 and Zones don't even show up in the "Filter" option when selecting a translated source.

I can use them in Original Source and Original Destination, but not translated columns.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Gateway version?

To be honest (though I've not tested it) I was thinking they would be used in the destination context i.e. traffic towards zone A hide behind a certain address, traffic towards zone B hide behind a different address.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

Same, 81.10.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Do you have existing Zone objects that you use elsewhere in your policy / assigned to interfaces or are there none defined yet?

I'll take a look in my lab later this evening...

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

Indeed I do and would even prefer to keep using them.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

@Chris_Atkinson is right, zones do work in R81 with nat tules. Does it now give you an option to add them? I just tested in my lab and its there for both src/dst.

0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

It is not. Only in Original Source and Original Destination. Not Translated columns: 

I'm also still unable to recreate the "Automatic Hide NAT rules" manually (as we discussed above) without getting "Invalid Object Subnet A in Translated Source of Address Translation Rule. Valid objects are host, gateway, gateway cluster, router, dynamic object and address range with one object"

I'm defo 81.10, show version all:

Product version Check Point Gaia R81.10
OS build 335
OS kernel version 3.10.0-957.21.3cpx86_64
OS edition 64-bit

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

You cant add them in translated column, only original, so thats expected. As far as creating manual hide nat rules, I would need to see for myself.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

For reference this is the rule I just verified / installed in the lab (haven't done any testing beyond this point).

Both the Original Source & Original Destination reference zone objects that I located via text search.

Zone_NAT.png

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

Yes, I can do that. But my objective here is outgoing NAT.

Interface A is ISP1

Interface B is ISP2

Both are advertising a default route to me, I'm preferring ISP1 - so by default I am NAT'ing behind the IP of interface A.

But if ISP1 goes down, ISP2's default routes take over.

I would need the NAT to change to Interface B.

With your screenshot, since it would always use the first NAT rule - it would attempt to NAT behind an ip of an interface that is down.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

As long as you have proper default gateway for that IPS link in gateway properties and internal networks are hide-natted behind gateway external IP, if one link fails, then when users go to the Internet, if they were to do whatismyip.com, they would get presented with your 2nd ISP link IP address.

0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

And that is indeed what's happening when I use a Subnet Object and select "Automatic Hide NAT behind Gateway".

Now I just wish I could create that manually for better organization in the NAT table.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

@PhoneBoy is right, you need something like below. Now, I get your point about having NAT rule that does not have to be "active" at this point, so not sure best way to go about except disable it.

Here is nat rule that would work:

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
dphonovation
Collaborator

That would work, as long as the ISP for your "gateway_external" is UP. (ISP1 in my case)

ie: 0.0.0.0/0 via x.x.x.x on Interface A

If ISP1 goes down, I would then get a routing table change where 0.0.0.0/0 is now via y.y.y.y on Interface B.

Yet the first NAT rule to be hit would still be Interface A's.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

I see what you are saying, thats true. Sorry, not sure at this point best way to go about it, lets see if anyone else may know.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Indeed depends how we calculate the Zone relative to the egress interface it's tagged to, possibly an RFE.

I've sought some feedback internally based upon the following example:

NAT.png

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events