cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yudha_spt
Explorer

Asymmetric Routing causing network slow and MTA issue

Hi CheckMates,

Condition-based on topology (Single TE1000X, with 4-Port Bypass Interface & 1 LACP MTA port), please refer to below images :

Topology.jpeg
1. All 3 switches are in L3 mode with OSPF equal cost, meaning traffic will be asymmetric. Cannot using link bonding.
2. Position of Anti Spam in DMZ, and mail server in DC.

I have 2 problems:
1. Regarding condition 1 above, when we put TE as bridging we found 3 (Three) log that we suspect causing network slow.
- TCP packet out of state First packet isn't Sync
- TCP segment out of maximum allowed sequenced. Packet dropped.
- ICMP reply does not match a previous request

2. Traffic from anti-spam to mail server already inspected by bridged interfaces instead of MTA.

Action :
1. I already disabled TCP packet out of state First packet isn't Sync on Global Properties and expert mode. Log already not show anymore after that.

2. I already allow TCP segment out of maximum allowed sequenced on inspection setting. But log still shows these messages.

3. We also already disabled ICMP reply does not match a previous request on Global Setting and expert mode but log still shows these messages too.

Could anybody please give me suggestion for :

1. How to deploy this TE with bridge mode with this condition?
2. How to bypass SMTP traffic from anti-spam to mail server on bridged mode because when there is double-checking Threat Emulation traffic will be drop. Or any best practice for this condition?

Thank you CheckMates.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The fact you are seeing TCP Packet Out of State and the other errors suggest you have asymmetric traffic flows.
That is going to cause these and other kinds of issues.

To prevent double inspection, you should be able to add a bypass rule in your Threat Prevention policy to not inspect traffic originating from your DMZ mail server to your internal mail servers.
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events