cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miesepies
Participant
Jump to solution

How to upgrade firmware 620 after factory defaults

Instead of using the Default settings function in the WebUI, I erroneously used the factory defaults button on the rear of my 620. Now the firewall has been downgraded from R77.20 to R75.20 (983003552).

With this firmware I was now unable to automatically reactivate the license, so had to do that manually. But I'm also unable to update the firmware back to the latest 77.20.

WebUI tells me "Connection to Check Point Firmware Upgrade Service failed" and in the system logs is says "[Firmware Upgrade] A connection error occurred".

Any idea why this happens? Did the update url change? Blocked my firewall because it's out of support/subscription (the last did not matter with earlier updates, I was able to update to the latest 77.20) ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tom_Hinoue
Advisor
Advisor

Possibly the online updates etc. are not working due to "Check Point update and online services migration to SHA-256 based certificates " (some years ago..) where you will need to manually upgrade to at-least R75.20.69 or the final R75.20.71.

Other wise, as PhoneBoy mentioned it is recommended to USB burn the latest R77.20.80 (Build 2507) firmware.
If burning to the latest doesn't work, it maybe related to current bootloader or image, where you may want to burn R77.20.11~R77.20.31 before going to R77.20.80.

links
How to re-image SMB appliances firmware version using USB Flash Drive 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Not sure exactly what the backend process is for the firmware upgrade in the UI.
However, what you probably should do is download the latest release for 600 (R77.20.80 here): https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut... 
I would put the image on a USB drive and boot the 620 with the USB drive in.
This will factory default the unit again and flash the recovery image to R77.20.80
The system will cycle through the lights for several minutes.
When the lights stop flashing, the process is complete and you can power cycle it again.

0 Kudos
Miesepies
Participant

Thx. I already tried to get the firmware from the Checkpoint site, but unfortunately I cannot download any images since I don't have active support.

0 Kudos
Tom_Hinoue
Advisor
Advisor

Possibly the online updates etc. are not working due to "Check Point update and online services migration to SHA-256 based certificates " (some years ago..) where you will need to manually upgrade to at-least R75.20.69 or the final R75.20.71.

Other wise, as PhoneBoy mentioned it is recommended to USB burn the latest R77.20.80 (Build 2507) firmware.
If burning to the latest doesn't work, it maybe related to current bootloader or image, where you may want to burn R77.20.11~R77.20.31 before going to R77.20.80.

links
How to re-image SMB appliances firmware version using USB Flash Drive 

Miesepies
Participant

Ah yes, that looks like why online activation and fw upgrade didn't work. This firewall has been running since 2014 orso receiving the various firmware updates, so it never had an issue (until now 😓). Thanks. 

(Unfortunately I do not have an active support contract so cannot download and install the firmware manually...)

0 Kudos
Miesepies
Participant

I managed to get a recent firmware, after which everything works as expected again. 

Thx!

Esekerr
Explorer

Hello,

i am in the same case, where did you found the firmware ?

Thank you

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events