Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shlomi_Feldman
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus
Jump to solution

Quantum SD-WAN - Official launch

Hi CheckMates,

I am glad to share with you that today we officially launched our Quantum SD-WAN product.

You are invited to visit the SD-WAN Web page at https://www.checkpoint.com/quantum/sd-wan/ 

Shlomi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alejandro_Flore
Participant

It was just about time! reading ebook already...

View solution in original post

57 Replies
Alejandro_Flore
Participant

It was just about time! reading ebook already...

Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Finally!

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Hey @Shlomi_Feldman ...just curious, will this require additional license? I sure hope not : - )

Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor

Not only a licens, it’s subscription based licens…. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/MagnusHolmberg-NetSec
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Great...lol

the_rock
Legend
Legend

I know this might be slightly off this topic, but I wish that CP would have licensing structure like most other major vendors, it would make life so much easier for everyone.

Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor

I have not compare the prices so far.
But for me SD-WAN is pointless as a work for a service provider.

This subscription for everything sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MagnusHolmberg-NetSec
the_rock
Legend
Legend

No kidding : - )

0 Kudos
Shlomi_Feldman
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hi,

It would be very helpful if you could provide further information about your comment "have licensing structure like most other major vendors"

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Here is what I mean by that...say Fortinet, once you purchase an appliance, you have subscription valid for 90 days and if you wish permanent license, you can choose validity (I believe 1, 3 or 5 years) and it covers everything (no need to buy separate license for different blades/features).

With Cisco, its pretty much the same. It might be a bit different with certain products, for example Cisco Firepower or Umbrella, but in a nutshell, its same principle.

I cant say for PAN with certainty, but few years ago, when I was more involved with it, it was like that...once people buy Palo Alto appliance, you purchase the valid support and license would have covered anything you wanted to enable on the firewalls.

Trust me, Im not the only one who thinks CP licensing is complicated/convoluted, for the lack of the better term. AMAZING products, but if I lived 1000 years, licensing would still confuse me, no offence : -)

Shlomi_Feldman
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

If this is the case with PAN and Fortinet, how come they got a separate SD-WAN price in their catalog?

last I checked it was around 20% of the cost of the host appliance

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I will admit whem Im wrong, but last time I worked on sd-wan on those vendors, customers informed me they did not have to pay anything additional for it. Maybe these days its different. 

0 Kudos
Shlomi_Feldman
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

I believe the truth is somewhere in the small details. will contact you directly as I am really keen to learn this issue better

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Sure thing, any time!

0 Kudos
anstelios
Collaborator

Fortinet for sure, includes SD-WAN functionality without any extra costs.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

PAN as well.

_Val_
Admin
Admin

No, PAN SD-WAN is not free. It is a % of appliance price and sold as a time-limited subscription.  

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I admit if Im wrong...used to be included, but they may had changed it in the last few years. Its been some time since I worked on PAN stuff.

0 Kudos
Shlomi_Feldman
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

PAN got 2 SD-WAN products. which one of them is free of charge?

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Lol, this is RN, not a price list. Try looking in the catalog for PAN-PA-XXXX-SDWAN SKUs, where XXXX is the appliance model. 

0 Kudos
Shlomi_Feldman
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

the Fortinet case is similar FC-10-XXXX-288-02-DD
XXXX=appliance model

0 Kudos
Shlomi_Feldman
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

strange. so how Fortinet write in their reports that they got SD-WAN income crossing $350M, if they give it for free?

there is a chance that they give the GW side for free and charge for the orchestrator?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

That question my friend, you would have to ask Fortinet Sales people LOL

0 Kudos
Shlomi_Feldman
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Do you know if it is possible to use Fortinet SD-WAN w/o their cloud orchestrator? 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Know customer that did it.

0 Kudos
anstelios
Collaborator

PAN-OS SDWAN(legacy)  and Prisma SDWAN(new PAN offering) are both subscription based licenses.

Fortinet SDWAN is completely free of charge and included in the basic bundle with every Fortigate. SDWAN orchestrator, which is an add-on license for FortiManager does come with a cost, but it's a complimentary service and it's not mandatory for SDWAN deployment.

The problem for CP here is that both Forti and PAN offerings are much much more mature and feature-rich!!!
I can't imagine how CP will be able to compete by charging that much for SDWAN...

Shlomi_Feldman
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus
  1. What is the Fortinet SD-WAN SKU for each appliance model FC-10-XXXX-288-02-DD
    XXXX=appliance model "SD-WAN Cloud Assisted Monitoring: Cloud-based SD-WAN Bandwidth & Quality Monitoring Service"?

2. I believe CheckMates is not the right place to discuss pricing details. We acknowledge that we are the "new kid on the block" in the SD-WAN world. however we trust our product and it feature content. 
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Agree 100%. I also believe that CP sd-wan solution will be fine as time comes, Im fairly confident.

0 Kudos
Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events