cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Witty
Participant
Jump to solution

Quantum OpenTelemetry to prometheus

Hello, we have a checkpoint with version: Quantum Spark with Gaia embedded. From the administration console, we activated OpenTelemetry and pointed to a URL where we have a Prometheus. We have allowed outgoing traffic from the checkpoint to Prometheus through port 9090 in the firewall. We have also activated the flag "--web.enable-remote-write-receiver" in Prometheus version 2.45.0.

We have tested from the checkpoint console using OpenTelemetry and received an OK, but we are unable to extract metrics from Prometheus.

We are receiving this message in Prometheus:

"caller=write_handler.go:47 level=error component=web msg="Error decoding remote write request" err="snappy: corrupt input"

We are not sure if OpenTelemetry is sending data that Prometheus cannot integrate... the truth is that we are at a standstill right now.

Is it not compatible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Witty
Participant

I finally got it working, downgraded bitnami prometheus to prom/prometheus with these two options enabled:

- '--enable-feature=remote-write-receiver'
- '--web.enable-remote-write-receiver'

I restarted the Open telemetry services at the checkpoint and it started working.
Thanks for the help

View solution in original post

9 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I believe our support for OpenTelemetry on SMB appliances is still considered EA and requires R81.10.08 and above.

0 Kudos
Witty
Participant

We are using a 1570R Model of Checkpoint GAIA Embedded From the administration console we point without a user or certificate to the Prometheus remote_write through port 9090. Like: http://x.x.x.x.:9090/api/v1/write

We are seeing that we have metrics in Prometheus such as:
system_gaia_os_version and others, but we believe that open telemtry is sending the metrics to the remote write with a different protocol than the one used by Prometheus, that is why we do not have values ​​in the metrics.
We cannot use skyline because we do not have a GAIA as such, but rather an embedded one.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Skyline is the name of our project to integrate OpenTelemetry support into Quantum Security Gateways (which includes Spark appliances).
You're using it (or attempting to).

@Arik_Ovtracht any ideas?

0 Kudos
Witty
Participant

ok, but the question then is: If we have Opentelemetry in Spark as I mentioned, even though it doesn't have the skyline package, then I understand that this forum is not appropriate... correct?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

As was mentioned earlier R81.10.08 first introduced Skyline for Spark.

Per sk181079  "Skyline, monitoring agent (as EA)."

If you are running this firmware or higher it is available to use but is not yet considered GA.

Are you running R81.10.10 or something else?

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Witty
Participant

Hi, yes, we have this version:

1570R Appliance

Version
R81.10.10 (996002945)

WEB UI
GAIA EMBEDDED

I think the problem is that we have not enabled the skyline agent at the checkpoint, which is why I am not receiving the metrics correctly in Prometheus...

0 Kudos
Witty
Participant

I have other question, if necessary activate any feature on this version of checkpoint?

I no have, skyline commands, on cli, o REST.py file...

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

If you have followed the documentation below and the problem persists please contact TAC for assistance 

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/Appliances/Skyline/Content/Topics-AG/Configuration-on-Quantum-S...

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Witty
Participant

I finally got it working, downgraded bitnami prometheus to prom/prometheus with these two options enabled:

- '--enable-feature=remote-write-receiver'
- '--web.enable-remote-write-receiver'

I restarted the Open telemetry services at the checkpoint and it started working.
Thanks for the help

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events