cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Don_Paterson
Advisor
Jump to solution

migrate_server import stuck on 4%

Anyone else seeing an R81.10 migrate_server import stuck (on 4%)?

R80.40 migrate_server export file being used.

migrate_server import stuck on 4%migrate_server import stuck on 4%

Edit:
This is with the -l option, so it includes a small amount of logs and fw logwsitch was done before the export. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Reinecke1
Participant

I have some more updates on this. Just completed the re-install of the same server using CPUSE, installer clean-install. Used the same export and imported using the same version upgrade tools. This time I could replicate the issue and it got stuck at 4%.

So the temporary solution in my mind is to NOT make use of CPUSE at this stage to clean-install the box, but rather use ISOmorphic or other external drive options to image the box.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Check out sk176603.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Do not use -l option...I had this exact issue before and running it without -l flag worked fine. sk @Alex- is excellent reference as well.

Andy

Don_Paterson
Advisor

Thank you both for the replies. Very helpful.
Update:
I am still having problems.
One  import worked (without -l) but subsequent imports have failed (no -l used) and I am still trying to figure out the main issue.
At the moment I see one ERROR in the cpm.elg and it is not the same one as the SK (see attached for the error).
It appears as soon as the import moves from 3% to 4% (where is is then stuck).
The error implies that the SMC User and System Domains are in play at the time of the hang.

Take 45 applied and still the same problem.

Will post an update here if I find a solution.

Thanks,

Don

the_rock
Legend
Legend

You have TAC case open for this?

0 Kudos
Don_Paterson
Advisor

Nope. It is not a prod environment. It is a lab for the CCSE course, where the procedure is to import an R80.40 config onto a CPUSE clean install of R81.10 (overwriting the exported R80.40 SMS).

Hope to find a solution and otherwise have a work-around until I have one.

0 Kudos
Don_Paterson
Advisor

@PhoneBoy 
Hi Dameon,
Just wanted to put this on your radar in case you hear anyone else having problems, which the SK does not cover but still has the import stuck on 4%.
I will update if I get progress but wanted to check if you maybe knew any more on this issue?
Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Can you confirm the CPUSE build and if there is a JHF applied to the R81.10 instance already?

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Don_Paterson
Advisor

I think CPUSE was up-to-date (as of today), 2176, (in at least two of the tests)  and Take 9 applied on top of R81.10 B335
Upgrade Package Tools = 996000341

0 Kudos
JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

The latest Upgrade Package Tools for R81.10 is 996000397 (see sk135172).

The latest Jumbo Take for R81.10 is 45 (see sk175186).

try to update them and then give it another try.

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
0 Kudos
Don_Paterson
Advisor

Edit:
I also tried with Take45 and without any takes.
No time now but will test again soon. The next time will be a clean install or R81.10 and not a CPUSE clean-install (R81.10 over R80.40).
Will follow that with the import attempt.

0 Kudos
Chris_Reinecke1
Participant

Hi Don, do you perhaps have any updates on this issue. We just had the exact same issue migrating from R80.40 to R81.10 using upgrade tools 996000398 on both and sides also trying with and without -l. We are importing into a clean install R81.10 with Jumbo Take 45 installed. The import gets stuck at 4% and then eventually times out after 2 hours. No errors seen in cpm.elg. We do have a TAC case open but was hoping that somebody might have figured this one out. 

0 Kudos
Antec42
Explorer

Same problem here. Import gets stuck at 4% and no error logs.

/Marcus

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

How were the machines first built in your scenario?

Refer:

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Management/migrate-server-import-issue-not-proceeding-past-4/m-p... 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Chris_Reinecke1
Participant

Hi Chris, I have a theory as it seems that all machines with the problem was built using CPUSE. We have built a new test server using the ISO image and installed Jumbo Take 45. Using the same export that originally failed with the same Upgrade Tools, the import was successful. Our first install was on a server built with CPUSE. Today I am going to built another server using CPUSE and then go through the process again. I see that thread was started by Simon who is one of my colleagues, so he is also describing the same issue I am describing in here. I did not see that he started a new thread. 

0 Kudos
Don_Paterson
Advisor

Hi Chris,

Update:

I have only been able to get an import to work if the server is installed using the DVD (virtual DVD drive in the VM) and the R81.10 ISO file (Build 335 it is).

I agree that it is the CPUSE clean install that is the problem here, and it blocks the import from working.

The Blink clean install did not work for me.
I did an R81.10 Blink install (no JHFAs), clean install, using CPUSE and the import on that also got stuck at 4%.

@PhoneBoy  to give you an update on this one. It seems it is not an isolated issue and is repeatable and therefore seems to be a bug.

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Antec42
Explorer

I believe it was first installed as a clean install open server. However, it has since it's first install been "re-installed" with the blink iso through CPUSE. If this qualifies as a CPUSE build I do not know but I would expect so.

/Marcus 

0 Kudos
Chris_Reinecke1
Participant

I have some more updates on this. Just completed the re-install of the same server using CPUSE, installer clean-install. Used the same export and imported using the same version upgrade tools. This time I could replicate the issue and it got stuck at 4%.

So the temporary solution in my mind is to NOT make use of CPUSE at this stage to clean-install the box, but rather use ISOmorphic or other external drive options to image the box.

Antec42
Explorer

Good finding! This is the exact scenario I was in. I tried to use the Blink image and did an upgrade instead of clean install and this also worked. But it would still be good to know how we can use the migrate_server command without ending up in this mess again... "Time stealer" to say the least...

0 Kudos
Don_Paterson
Advisor

Hi Chris,
I did not get any more time on the issue but will do again next week.
In the meantime I think you are onto the main issue there and I am also dealing with an R80.40 that was CPUSE clean-install using CPUSE.
I did not get a chance to try the old-style clean build but that was/is my next test. Will update you but I think the result will be predictable. 😉
Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events