Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ED
Advisor
Jump to solution

R80.20 mgmt VM in VMware

Hi,

I want to setup R80.20 management server as a VM in VMware ESXi. Can someone confirm these are the correct settings?

Guest OS: RHEL7?

guest_OS.PNG

CPU:

I wish to have 8xCore. 1 core x 8 sockets  OR 8 cores x 1 socket. What do I choose?

1core8sockets.PNG

8cores1socket.PNG

Memory:

mem.PNG

Hard disk: Thick provision or thin provision?

hdd.jpg

Network: E100E or VMXNET 3?

network.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Don't think it will matter much in VMWare, but I'd go 8x1 on CPUs instead of 1x8.  Thin disk provisioning is not recommended, but thick/lazy is OK.  Please see this SK which has been updated for the new 3.10 kernel:

sk104848: Best Practices - Performance Optimization of Security Management Server installed on VMwar...

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor
yes it should work but why don't you make thin provisioning instead? would that be only SMS or also SMS+CLM? if only SMS - you seem good to go, I got it exactly same fasion and it works like a charm 🙂
Jerry
0 Kudos
ED
Advisor

Hi Jerry,

What did you choose on CPU? I mean the question related to cores and sockets, what option of the two I showed. It's only SMS. Thin provision or thick provision will not be any important difference for Gaia OS? Probably the only risk is VMware itself getting full on a datastore without Gaia knowing that if i choose thin. 

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor
based on my experience and regardless whether you've got loads of disk space on "store" or not I'd recommend to use thin rather than tick as the performance impact on new linux kernel matters 🙂 the call is still yours! cheers
Jerry
ED
Advisor

Interesting Jerry. What is the official Check Point recommendation for management server on a virtual machine, thick or thin? You say that it affects performance on the new linux kernel based on what we choose, thick or thin. Do you know how or is it just based on your own experience? Sorry if i ask too much 🙂

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor
hi Enis

what is the official vendor's answer I cannot tell obviously and this need to be addressed with either @PhoneBoy or Tim/Heiko - sorry if I missed anyone.
with regards to my own experience with R80.20 SMS performance wise THIN is better as it is faster, that's what I can tell only.
Jerry
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
As I recall "thick provisioned" is what is supported though I use "thin provisioned" successfully in my lab.
0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor
told you THIN is also not a bad one 🙂
Jerry
0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

8xCore. 1 core x 8 sockets  OR 8 cores x 1 socket. What do I choose?

It's up to you, with both settings you get 8 cores in your virtual machine. There are existing licensing models from some software vendors related to cores or socket, but Check Point licenses only cores.

ED
Advisor

Hi Wolfgang,

So Gaia OS will see it the same way and not impact anything on performance based on what I choose? Which of these two options do you usually go for?

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Don't think it will matter much in VMWare, but I'd go 8x1 on CPUs instead of 1x8.  Thin disk provisioning is not recommended, but thick/lazy is OK.  Please see this SK which has been updated for the new 3.10 kernel:

sk104848: Best Practices - Performance Optimization of Security Management Server installed on VMwar...

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events