Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boat1
Explorer

Log Field Explanation

I'm new to Check Point and I'm trying to make sense of the data in our logs and in particular the inbound/outbound bytes. 

My understanding:

Source = Client

Destination = Server

Client Inbound Bytes = Number of bytes received by the client
Client Outbound Bytes = Number of bytes sent from the client
Server Inbound Bytes = Number of packets received by the server
Server Outbound Bytes = Number of packets sent from the server

But then the data doesn't really make sense as what we have setup the server should really only be transmitting/sending data to the client and we get the opposite:

Client Inbound Bytes Client Outbound Bytes Server Inbound Bytes Server Outbound Bytes
5 MB                                 22.5 MB                               22.5 MB                       5 MB
5 MB                                 22.5 MB                               22.5 MB                       5 MB

However I saw in another board inbound/outbound were the other way round which would make my data seem more accurate but just doesn't seem logical:

Client: Source of connection
Server: Destination of connection
Inbound: Being sent from client/server
Outbound: Being received by client/server

0 Kudos
2 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Version, sample of the logs please

0 Kudos
Boat1
Explorer

Hi Val,

Thanks for replying.

I'm using the Smartconsole for SMS R80.30 for the logs and the gateways are R77.20 but these are ruggedized device so its Gaia embedded.

So ultimately I'm not sure if I'm reading the logs correctly or missing something as would expect the server outbound /client inbound to be the higher number. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events