Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maik
Advisor
Jump to solution

IPsec S2S VPN between VRRP cluster and single GW - R80.10

Hello guys,

I am currently building a small lab to test some things related to the CCSE exam. So I set up a small network with two sites, one site (Site A) contains two security gateways (running Gaia R80.10) that work together as a VRRP cluster. The same site also contains the corporate SMS which manages the just mentioned cluster as well as the second site (Site B). On site B we can find another security gateway, this time a single one, not running any cluster solution whatsoever. Each site has a internal network for the clients and the A site (the main one containing the cluster) also has a management and DMZ network, containing the SMS and a web server respectively.

So long story short; I tried to establish a IPsec site to site vpn connection connection between the VRRP gateway cluster and the single gateway on the other site. To achieve this I created a meshed VPN community, placed the cluster & single gateway in it + configured the details such as the encryption suite and to disable NAT within the tunnel/VPN community. On the gateway objects itself I just configured the VPN domain (the internal, user networks, for each site). Now the problem is, when I try to initiate connections from site 1 to site 2 and vice versa no traffic is actually passing. However, I can see that a phase 1 tunnel can be established from site 1 (VRRP clster site) to site 2:

As you can see the second direction is completely empty. The shown IP addresses are btw. not public ones, I just use them in my lab which runs completly offline. So, as I checked this and saw that Site 2 (B-GW) was unable to set up a connection with site 1 (A-GW cluster) I saw the need to verify the logging and...

I could see that the necessary keying information was being sent out from B-GW (still the single one) to the A site (running the cluster). But it seems like that the B-GW is currently not sending out its traffic to the virtual cluster IP of A-Cluster but instead to the real IP of the first cluster member (A-GW-1). This is leading the key negotiation to the point where it fails with the "invalid certificate" message, as the VPN & related cert has been conifgured for the cluster IP:

All the traffic is dropped from a A-GW-1 - which is indeed the acrive VRRP member. But now my question is - what am I missing? And why is A-GW-1's IP being used instead of the cluster virtual IP (which is .1 for the related networks of A)?

Further information:

203.0.113.0/24 is the "internet" within my lab, where both sitea are connected to via their gateways - the .10 in the fourth octett represents the management IP for the single gateway on the B site.

192.168.13..0/24 is the management network of site 1 - the .1 in the fourth octett represents the management IP for the VRRP cluster.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

As someone who has set up VMWare lab environments for the official CCSA and CCSE classes I can be of help here.

Is the SMS traffic NATted through the VRRP cluster?  If so you must set it up as an automatic NAT on the SMS object and ensure "Apply for Security gateway control connections" is checked and reinstall policy to both sides.  Failure to do this will result in a CRL retrieval failure on the B-GW side when it attempts to retrieve the CRL associated with the certificate being presented in IKE Phase 1 from A-GW. If the SMS traffic is not NATted, you must ensure that there is proper routing in place such that B-GW can hit the SMS's internal IP for purposes of CRL retrieval.

Are you actually getting logs from B-GW itself?  My guess is no which is probably part of the same SMS NAT issue or improper routing.

--
Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gomboragchaa
Advisor

Are you prepared all VMs?

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

As someone who has set up VMWare lab environments for the official CCSA and CCSE classes I can be of help here.

Is the SMS traffic NATted through the VRRP cluster?  If so you must set it up as an automatic NAT on the SMS object and ensure "Apply for Security gateway control connections" is checked and reinstall policy to both sides.  Failure to do this will result in a CRL retrieval failure on the B-GW side when it attempts to retrieve the CRL associated with the certificate being presented in IKE Phase 1 from A-GW. If the SMS traffic is not NATted, you must ensure that there is proper routing in place such that B-GW can hit the SMS's internal IP for purposes of CRL retrieval.

Are you actually getting logs from B-GW itself?  My guess is no which is probably part of the same SMS NAT issue or improper routing.

--
Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Maik
Advisor

Hello Timothy,

Thank you very much! Taking a look at the NAT section of the SMS did the job. Even if I was sure that my settings were set up to use automatic NAT there - it was not set anymore. Seems like I changed it a while ago and forgot about it. Nevertheless; tunnels are up now, traffic is passing:

Again - many thanks for your advice. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events