cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Maestro - Lost all MHO connectivity after changing uplink port speed

I'm experiencing a weird MHO issue when changing the speed of an uplink port from 10G to 1G.

Dual-Site, Dual Orchestrator setup. Orchestrators (MHO-140) run on latest R80.20SP JHF 317.

After I plugged a 1000BASE TX Copper (RJ45) transceiver into port 26 of each of the four MHOs, then port 26 is shown as plugged and there's no link state as it's still set to 10G (default).

image.png

image.png

I changed it to 1G on all MHOs and port 26 link state looks good.

> show maestro port 1/26/1 qsfp-mode
Port 26 qsfp-mode is 10G
> set maestro port 1/26/1 qsfp-mode 1G
Successfully set port 1/26/1 qsfp-mode to 1G

image.png

20secs later all MHOs lost connectivity. Even the rear Mgmt1 ports are not accessible anymore.

I rebooted all MHOs together but the issue remains. They come up, are available for some secs and then lose connectivity.
The rear Mgmt1 port only becomes accessible if orchd stop is executed.
I already checked sk175549 as it sounds similar but it doesn't provide a solution.
Did anyone experience this before? I immediately opened a service request with TAC, but still waiting to have it forwarded to the Maestro team.

@Anatoly @Jan_Irani @Christian_Hofma @Tom_Kendrick @Lari_Luoma @Laszlo_Csosza @Jochen_Hoechner 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tom_Kendrick
Employee
Employee

No such issue seen from the installs I've seen. I've messaged you offline, lets see how we can help, but TAC is the best path as you have already started.

0 Kudos
Jan_Irani
Employee
Employee

please have look on following SK

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut... 

from my understanding this happens by restarting MHO or orchd restarting.

by default we rescan all ports to detect the inserted Transceiver.

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

@Jan_Irani . Thanks, I tried the tor_util set_qsfp_auto_config off command on all MHOs, rebooted them, but still no connectivity via rear Mgmt1 port. Still waiting to TAC to provide help.

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

I just got the info that 1G might not be supported on interfaces of type: uplink, while this can be configured.

1G might only be supported for interfaces of type: management

show maestro port 1/1/1 type
Port 1/1/1 type is management
show maestro port 1/26/1 type
Port 1/26/1 type is uplink

I didn't find anything to this on Known Limitations for Scalable Platforms - sk148074
Neither does sk92755 mention any limitations with that transceiver when used in MHO-140 appliances.

Also I'm not interested in using the 1000BASE TX Copper (RJ45) transceiver on a management port because of the asymmetric routing for management traffic issue. Isn't there a better solution?

0 Kudos
Tom_Kendrick
Employee
Employee

1g is definitely supported for uplink.  We do it in our training racks for partners for well over a year, if not 2!

In the very early days I think you needed a jhfa to make the configuration of 1g possible, so that may be where the info you have been given has been confused?

0 Kudos
Tom_Kendrick
Employee
Employee

To add, on the 175 (or 170) you can't use 1g, but you have the 140.  The slowest you can go on the 17x is 10g by using a splitter.

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Thanks for the info on 1G support for uplink ports.

I found out that when I change back the type of the uplink port 26 to 10G on the first MHO of a site the other MHO of the same site gets accessible again while it still has its uplink port 26 configured on 1G.

0 Kudos