Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
technoggins
Explorer
Jump to solution

r80.10 all-in-one evaluation license activation?

Greetings.

Feeling very frustrated trying to get an evaluation copy up and working on my PC.  Please forgive my ignorance, but I feel like I am going in circles and wasting quite a bit of time.

1)  I have created a user account and requested an evaluation license.  I received the email with attached license file.

2)  I downloaded the R80.10 gaia, and have installed it in a VMWARE Workstation Pro 15 instance.  

3)  The open server is running.  I can log into it with a web browser.  

4)  Installed and ran smartconsole.  It sees the local checkpoint machine.

5)  Ran SmartUpdate and imported licenses from file (sent via email)

6)  If I log into the machine, all of the blades are greyed out, and the license status page shows the 'activate now' button greyed.

7)  I cannot find any place to put my user center registration information in.

What am I missing?  Attaching screen shots:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
First of all, when you do an initial install of Check Point, you don't need to install a license immediately.
There is a 15-day Plug n Play license that is included.
After this expires you can install an "all in one" Eval.

Second, it's probably better to use a later release than R80.10 as it is a few years old now and R80.30 is the widely recommended release.

Third, I highly recommend our Check Point for Beginners series.
It starts with R80.10 but you can follow the same general steps for later releases as well.
https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Check-Point-for-Beginners-CP4B/bg-p/check-point-for-beginners

View solution in original post

8 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
First of all, when you do an initial install of Check Point, you don't need to install a license immediately.
There is a 15-day Plug n Play license that is included.
After this expires you can install an "all in one" Eval.

Second, it's probably better to use a later release than R80.10 as it is a few years old now and R80.30 is the widely recommended release.

Third, I highly recommend our Check Point for Beginners series.
It starts with R80.10 but you can follow the same general steps for later releases as well.
https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Check-Point-for-Beginners-CP4B/bg-p/check-point-for-beginners
technoggins
Explorer

Thank you.  I am going there now.  I assume the walkthrough shows me where to download the standalone r80.30 image?

Thanks

Jamie

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

It looks like you have installed management only Gaia machine. If you have installed standalone, then make sure you apply policy on it.

What is your frustration about? So far, nothing that would indicate an issue.

0 Kudos
technoggins
Explorer

Hi - thanks for the reply.

This is the name of the ISO I installed: Check_Point_R80.10_T479_Gaia.iso

When I log into the machine directly, all of the blades on the right hand side are greyed out.

Jamie

0 Kudos
Christopher__C2
Employee
Employee

Assuming you installed this as a "standalone" install (would be selected during the first time wizard).

In Smartconsole, open the object for your server (Checkpoint8010, in your screenshot 6), select the blades you want to use on the initial properties page. And probably configure and install policies for each blade that requires one. (network security policy is a requirement for just about anything else to work).

And then install policy.

Enabling and disabling blades is generally done by selecting them on the Check Point object's properties page, configuring them, and then pushing the updates to them via installing policy, or install database (on management servers).

0 Kudos
technoggins
Explorer

Thank you.  That helps.  

I am trying to follow the 'beginners' lab that Val Loukine recommended earlier.  I reached a small snag...

I am running on VMware Workstation 15.

I originally had 80.10 installed, but Val recommended I use 80.30.  I downloaded two different images, Check_Point_R80.30_T200_Security_Gateway.iso and Check_Point_R80.30_T200_Security_Management.iso.  The download page seemed to indicate that Check_Point_R80.30_T200_Security_Gateway.iso was also the 'standalone' image, for installing BOTH the GW and SMS.

Because of system resource limitations on my PC, I decided to install a standalone VM instead of two seperate GW and SMS VMs.  I booted and installed from the Check_Point_R80.30_T200_Security_Gateway.iso and found that the gateway product was selected and greyed, and Management product was checkable.  I checked management as well, so both GW and Management products are supposedly installed in a 'standalone' setup.

Upon connecting to the Gaia web GUI, it would appear that I am connecting to the GW.  How do I connect to the SMS?  How to I verify the SMS components were installed during the GW installation?

Also, if I add an additional network interface to the VM and reboot, does the interface show up in the GW?

Trying to get more ram to install so I can just install them as seperate VMs per the beginners lab.......

Thanks

Jamie

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It sounds like you did not choose Security Management AND Security Gateway during the First-Time Wizard run in the web browser after the initial install.
Ensure it is picked in both screens:

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 3.29.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 3.29.30 PM.png

and further it shows in the Summary screen:

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 3.30.58 PM.png

You should also be prompted to reboot afterwords.

0 Kudos
Christopher__C2
Employee
Employee

Using Check_Point_R80.30_T200_Security_Gateway.iso, there is no way to uncheck the gateway option, it is greyed out, and will always install the GW (Mgmt only requires the other iso).

To connect to the SMS, use smartconsole, it is version dependent, you will need the R80.30.

GAIA portal is the same, management, gateway, MDM, standalone, etc.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events