Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kb1
Collaborator

custom url query

So we have a url whose ip changes frequently and im not able to make a working rule to for the url. The url uses a specific port as well and in the rule there are 2 specific source ips.

Ive tried the following rule:

Inkedrule_LI.jpg

the ems2.swims.faa.gov object looks as shown below:

obj.png

So as you can see in the pic above i have used "*.ems2.swim.faa.gov", i just changed it to this expression and do not know if this one will work as we haven't tested it yet, the previous expression i used was "ems2.swim.faa.gov" which did not work. 

Now if the expression used above also doesn't work what should i use to make it work?

Note that https inspection is not enabled but categorize https inspection is enabled.

Firewall cluster is running on R80.20 with cpinfo -y all shown below:

cpinfo -y all

This is Check Point CPinfo Build 914000202 for GAIA
[IDA]
No hotfixes..

[CPFC]
HOTFIX_R80_20_JUMBO_HF_MAIN Take: 118

[MGMT]

[FW1]
HOTFIX_MAAS_TUNNEL_AUTOUPDATE

FW1 build number:
This is Check Point's software version R80.20 - Build 163
kernel: R80.20 - Build 151

[SecurePlatform]

[CPinfo]
No hotfixes..

[PPACK]

[DIAG]
No hotfixes..

[CVPN]
HOTFIX_ESOD_SCANNER_AUTOUPDATE
HOTFIX_ESOD_CSHELL_AUTOUPDATE
HOTFIX_ESOD_SWS_AUTOUPDATE

[CPUpdates]
BUNDLE_HCP_AUTOUPDATE Take: 29
BUNDLE_ESOD_SCANNER_AUTOUPDATE Take: 9
BUNDLE_ESOD_CSHELL_AUTOUPDATE Take: 13
BUNDLE_ESOD_SWS_AUTOUPDATE Take: 14
BUNDLE_MAAS_TUNNEL_AUTOUPDATE Take: 53
BUNDLE_INFRA_AUTOUPDATE Take: 41
BUNDLE_DEP_INSTALLER_AUTOUPDATE Take: 23
BUNDLE_R80_20_JUMBO_HF_MAIN Take: 118

[CPDepInst]
No hotfixes..

[AutoUpdater]
No hotfixes..

[hcp_wrapper]
HOTFIX_HCP_AUTOUPDATE

Also there is another rule which is being used to block traffic to Microsoft URLs as shown below and it works:

Inkedmicroso_LI.jpg

The "Block custom URLs" object looks as shown below:

ob.png

So if this rule works then im assuming https inspection (we will be using a different solution for https inspection) need not be enabled ?

So  yeah bottom-line is i need to make the ems2.swims.faa.gov rule to work whenever the ip changes dynamically.

Update : Testing has been done and it looks like that url (*.ems2.swims.faa.gov) also doesnt work.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

What does the log show when you filter for this destination? Does filtering for blade "url filtering" show you anything for this at all? Based on the screenshot, looks correct to me.

0 Kudos
kb1
Collaborator

The logs do not show unlike the logs that are showing up for the microsoft rule that I posted.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I believe you are correct in this case https inspection might not be needed, but maybe someone else can confirm 100%. Well, if that same rule is hit, then we know rule is indeed working...can you please tell us what are exact FQDNs you are having issues with? I can try in my lab.

0 Kudos
kb1
Collaborator

These are the fqdns (and they do not work) that i tried:

• ems2.swims.faa.gov
  • *.ems2.swims.faa.gov

The user is trying to hit the url "ems2.swims.faa.gov" on a specific port. This url has a dynamic ip that changes every few weeks or so that is why i need to make it work.

0 Kudos
Tobias_Moritz
Advisor

You always talk about "URL". Are you sure you are using HTTP(S) here?

I'm asking this, because you are using a Custom Application/Site Object with URL List definition and this only works for:

• HTTP traffic over tcp ports included in "Web Browsing" object (see URL Filtering blade settings) -> HTTP Header is parsed
  • HTTPS traffic over tcp ports included in "Web Browsing" object (see URL Filtering blade settings) AND ((HTTPS Inspection blade is used and this traffic is indeed inspected -> HTTP Header is parsed) OR (HTTPS Inspection Lite feature of URL Filtering Blade is used AND server certificate is trusted by CP gateway (see Trusted CA list in CP database) -> TLS handshake is parsed))

When using Internet in the destination column, you have to make sure that the ip address(es) behind this FQDN is indeed Internet from perspective of this gateways topology.

Also, please take care of the service field of your rule. In your first screenshot, you have three objects in the service field:

• your Custom Application/Site Object
  • a TCP object named TCP-55443
  • a ICMP object

These objects are combined as OR-conjunction. So your rule currently allows TCP-55443 and ICMP to everything which matches Internet. I'm not sure, this is what you want.

Last but not least:

Regarding your specific requirement:

Why you do you not skip URL-Filtering blade (and its Custom Application/Site Objects) here and just use a FQDN network object instead of Internet in the destination field? This is enforced by firewall blade only. Just make sure you keep the FQDN checkbox ticked. Since R80.20, this feature is really usable.

0 Kudos
kb1
Collaborator

ok i will try it out and will update here.

0 Kudos
Sorin_Gogean
Advisor

Why not try-it like we do with cases like this (as it was recommended also by others).
We define the .ems2.swims.faa.gov as an FQDN object (will replace the Internet destination in you initial rule)
Then we remove the URL object and leave only the required special TCP port - ICMP would not be needed as ICMP is allowed by default through CKP Firewall .

That will solve the problem with IP change on servers where the ems2.swims.faa.gov is hosted, and allow access to that particular port you require.

0 Kudos
kb1
Collaborator

ok i did as you suggested, this is how the rule looks:

Inkedfqdn_LI.jpg

the fqdn box is checked on that object.

Now i  need to find a way to test it out and if its working will update here thanks.

0 Kudos
kb1
Collaborator

By the way does the "FQDN" box need to be checked?

0 Kudos
Tobias_Moritz
Advisor

Yes, as I said in my previous post, the "FQDN" checkbox absolutly needs to be checked. Please read the thread I linked in my previous post to understand why.

0 Kudos
kb1
Collaborator

So looks like the rule didnt work, the ip changed dynamically again recently and today the user complained that its not working again, is the rule correct? it does not require the url filtering blade to function right?

0 Kudos
Tobias_Moritz
Advisor

It should work. URL Filtering blade is not needed for domain objects, these are handled by firewall blade.

Are you sure your gateway can do correct name resolution for that domain?

You can debug it on expert shell on gateway.

Here an example for registry-1.docker.io, created as FQDN object .registry-1.docker.io

[Expert@gateway:0]# dig registry-1.docker.io

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-25.P1.11.cp994000013 <<>> registry-1.docker.io
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 39231
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 8, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;registry-1.docker.io.          IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
registry-1.docker.io.   9       IN      A       34.197.211.151
registry-1.docker.io.   9       IN      A       107.23.149.57
registry-1.docker.io.   9       IN      A       54.85.56.253
registry-1.docker.io.   9       IN      A       35.153.88.109
registry-1.docker.io.   9       IN      A       3.224.96.239
registry-1.docker.io.   9       IN      A       3.229.227.53
registry-1.docker.io.   9       IN      A       18.214.230.110
registry-1.docker.io.   9       IN      A       34.238.187.50

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
docker.io.              30290   IN      NS      ns-1827.awsdns-36.co.uk.
docker.io.              30290   IN      NS      ns-1168.awsdns-18.org.
docker.io.              30290   IN      NS      ns-421.awsdns-52.com.
docker.io.              30290   IN      NS      ns-513.awsdns-00.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns-421.awsdns-52.com.   112798  IN      A       205.251.193.165

;; Query time: 3 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.a.b#53(192.168.a.b
;; WHEN: Tue Jun  1 07:30:21 2021
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 322

[Expert@gateway:0]# domains_tool -d registry-1.docker.io
Domain is not attached to any IP address

Wait for the next chunk...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Given Domain name:  registry-1.docker.io  FQDN: yes                                             |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| IP address                                                                         | sub-domain |
| 34.231.251.252                                                                     |     no     |
| 54.161.109.204                                                                     |     no     |
| 54.152.28.6                                                                        |     no     |
Total of 3 IP addresses found

| Given Domain name:  registry-1.docker.io  FQDN: yes                                             |
| IP address                                                                         | sub-domain |
| 52.55.168.20                                                                       |     no     |
| 54.85.56.253                                                                       |     no     |
Total of 2 IP addresses found

| 3.209.182.229                                                                      |     no     |
| 3.229.227.53                                                                       |     no     |
| 35.175.91.243                                                                      |     no     |
| 35.153.88.109                                                                      |     no     |
Total of 4 IP addresses found

| 52.72.232.213                                                                      |     no     |
| 3.220.36.210                                                                       |     no     |
Total of 2 IP addresses found

| 54.236.165.68                                                                      |     no     |
| 3.224.96.239                                                                       |     no     |
| 35.169.249.115                                                                     |     no     |
| 107.23.149.57                                                                      |     no     |
| 18.214.230.110                                                                     |     no     |
| 34.197.211.151                                                                     |     no     |
Total of 6 IP addresses found

| 34.238.187.50                                                                      |     no     |
Total of 1 IP addresses found

[Expert@gateway:0]# 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events