Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Garrett_DirSec
Advisor

approx target for "recommended version" status for R81

Hello --  We have various customers considering upgrades for this summer Y2021.

We've always discuss upgrade versions with local CP team to insure everyone on board - vendor, customer, reseller, etc.

Historically, the target version is what's "recommended by product mgmt" and has couple "GA" snaps available of JUMBO.

Today, I understand R80.40 is recommended target.   

Is there an approximate time-frame when this target will be updated to R81?  Example:   July1, etc.

In addition, we have proposed various times the following:

1. upgrade SmartCenter/Smartevent platforms to latest GA release (that has HFA "GA" take available).
  2. gateways should be upgraded to version with "maximum reliability and consistency" -- this build often one prior release and includes numerous "GA" HFA takes.

example for this summer:

1. upgrade SmartCenter/SmartEvent platforms to R81 with HFA/Jfa "GA" take.
  2. upgrade Gateways to R80.40 with latest HFA/JFA "GA" take.

Unfortunately, this has not provided best results.   While I like this "hyrid" strategy (ie. maximizing latest/greatest on mgmt and reliability on gateways) we have encountered strange bugs with newer mgmt and older gateways.   Yes, I know release notes say fully supported, etc.    The truth in production has been different story (specifically IDA did not work on prior build.. .was awful .. worked with support ... major black eye for everyone).

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

-GA

7 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The current reality is:

• On Management, R81 is definitely recommended due to the number of quality/stability improvements (not all of which can be backported in a JHF)
  • For gateways, R80.40 and R81 have similar quality, but there is some concern about having customers perform unnecessary upgrades, particularly in light of some changes coming in R81.10. If you need the features in R81, though, by all means, upgrade. 

Last I heard, there were still discussions underway about how to formally message this.
Feedback is welcome.

Garrett_DirSec
Advisor

Hey DA -- thanks for msg and insight.

What is target release date for R81.10 ??

Is it possible that "recommended version" may skip R81 and go straight to R81.10?

-GA

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Given that R81.10 is in Public EA now, GA is not that far away (next several weeks).
Don't know for sure if we'll skip R81 as a recommended release or not.

JulzorenSen
Contributor

Interesting to know.

That would be awesome to officially inform us about that. 😉

Initially i've been told that R81 would be Recommended in March.

I do need R81 features, but the company policy prevents us to deploy any image which is not the recommended version of the vendor.

Meh..

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Promoting versions to "Recommended" status is a function of many things. We need to see enough adoptions on the field, with sufficient indication of stability. Certain thresholds for R81 are still in progress. Tell us more about specific R81 functionality you require.

0 Kudos
JulzorenSen
Contributor

The big thing is faster policy push.

We have a cluster of 16000-T with NGFW blades that takes approx 10 minutes to pushes a policy to, which is a PITA.

Also concurrent distincts policies push at the same time.

Just FYI we are in R80.30 with recents JHF depending on the gws (I know I know, we skipped R80.40, exactly because there we didn't need any features ;-)).

_Val_
Admin
Admin

To have accelerated policy install, you need both GWs and MGMT on R81. If you need an official answer concerning the recommended ETA, best to approach your local Check Point office, or to ask through a TAC case. I would start with the former option, personally.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events