cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create a Post

When will checkpoint support the Load Sharing mode in either R80.20 and R80.30?

Jump to solution

Dear Check Point Team,

Regarding the known issue with ClusterXL R80.20 and above does not support Load Sharing mode. Therefore, SmartConsole blocks such a configuration with a warning message.

I would like to know when it will be fixed and become to support like an R80.10.

Regards,

Sarm

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Employee+
Employee+

Re: When will checkpoint support the Load Sharing mode in either R80.20 and R80.30?

Jump to solution

In r80.20 /.30 we introduced new limitation on load sharing with VPN (Due to maestro code main train unification, we took the maestro side and broken the main train side. Since the usage is low, it was the best tradeoff among the alternatives).

Due to the type of limitation, we decided to block the whole feature temporarily till we will make it clearer (so user can understand what is working). We are now in the process of enabling the large part of load sharing that does work, on r80.30. If you need this more urgently, contact our solution center to get assistance till we complete the publication of it (as its artificially blocked). 

Load sharing with vpn is still blocked (this requires development) and we will bring it back but in future release (most cases i saw that did use load sharing, didnt need the vpn aspect so the above should cover the vast majority). 

Dorit

8 Replies

Re: When will checkpoint support the Load Sharing mode in either R80.20 and R80.30?

Jump to solution

It's been discussed here.

I once copied a passage from @PhoneBoy answer:

CUT>>>

Load Sharing has a few limitations, see:

The amount of sync traffic required for ClusterXL Load Sharing significantly limits its scalability, particularly as you get into 3 and 4 node clusters.

It also reduces overall cluster resiliency in the case where one member fails, particularly if you are utilizing the load sharing cluster at or near capacity.

Given the above, I usually advocate for buying right-sized appliances for an HA configuration versus buying smaller appliances using load sharing.

And, in fact, this is what the vast majority of our customers do.

Maestro solves a lot of these limitations and improves scalability dramatically over ClusterXL Load Sharing.

<<<CUT

I also think Maestro is the future technology.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Employee+
Employee+

Jump to solution

In r80.20 /.30 we introduced new limitation on load sharing with VPN (Due to maestro code main train unification, we took the maestro side and broken the main train side. Since the usage is low, it was the best tradeoff among the alternatives).

Due to the type of limitation, we decided to block the whole feature temporarily till we will make it clearer (so user can understand what is working). We are now in the process of enabling the large part of load sharing that does work, on r80.30. If you need this more urgently, contact our solution center to get assistance till we complete the publication of it (as its artificially blocked). 

Load sharing with vpn is still blocked (this requires development) and we will bring it back but in future release (most cases i saw that did use load sharing, didnt need the vpn aspect so the above should cover the vast majority). 

Dorit

Jump to solution
Hi @Dorti,

You mean the Load sharing with vpn is still blocking or as whole Load sharing configuration.

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
Employee+
Employee+

Jump to solution

today: all load sharing is blocked except maestro

working to certify: enabling load sharing without vpn on R80.30 (can be done now if urgent contact us)

later after more development: load sharing with vpn 

Jump to solution

Hi Dorit,

Thank you for clarification.

However, can you estimate the time that the Load Sharing mode will be back in R80.20 and R80.30?

As I know if the customer wants to use this functionality they need to implement with R80.10, right?

0 Kudos
Employee+
Employee+

Jump to solution

I am quite implicit above: if you need non-vpn load sharing, you can get it now over r80.30 if you can contact us or wait to get it published publicly 

If you need vpn load sharing, we still need to develop so it will be on later release

If you are not clear, i recommend you will work w our local sales to further understand 

Jump to solution

Hi Dorit,

I got it now. Thanks for clarification again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
@Heiko

I link to the hyperlink you provided "It's been discussed here"
And found some comment from PhoneBoy, he said that checkpoint plan to bring it back later this year. Not sure if this true!
0 Kudos