Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sanjay_S
Advisor
Jump to solution

VSX Upgrade

Hi All,

We are planning to upgrade our VSX cluster from R77.30 to R80.30. Is it possible to upgrade it directly to R80.30 version or is there any upgrade path we need to follow? Also please let me know what all the things we need to consider for this upgrade. We have 4 physical firewall and 2 virtual systems. 

Regards,

Sanjay S

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

If you want to benefit of the new XFS file system you will have to do fresh installation. In all other cases upgrade is recommended.

With CPUSE upgrade you get your configuration migrated automatically to the new version and automatic snapshot for rollback.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

Hi Sanjay!

My recommendation is upgrade to R80.40. You can upgrade directly from R77.30 to R80.30 (or .40) using CPUSE. When upgrading VSX the first step is to run vsx_util upgrade on the management server.

Make sure to follow all the steps in the Installation and Upgrade Guide for the relevant version.

0 Kudos
Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor
Is upgrade or reinstall the recommended way for clusters?
https://www.youtube.com/c/MagnusHolmberg-NetSec
0 Kudos
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

If you want to benefit of the new XFS file system you will have to do fresh installation. In all other cases upgrade is recommended.

With CPUSE upgrade you get your configuration migrated automatically to the new version and automatic snapshot for rollback.

Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

Take a look at this discussion for upgrade vs. Fresh installation discussion:

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Management-Topics/Clean-install-vs-upgrade/td-p/14701

0 Kudos
Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor
Thanks for the clarification, most of our clusters are already running R80.30 3.10 as we changed most to HP G10, so for us we already on the new filesystem.

We are planning our upgrades to R80.40 for the VSX. The first MDS we tested with CPUSE went perfectly. (Nice new report) Previously we have reinstalled clusters to be on a clean box, but CPUSE would simplify the process by a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MagnusHolmberg-NetSec
0 Kudos
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

It's indeed very nice process compared to the old vsx_util reconfigure one. Personally I haven't done any VSX upgrades to R80.40 yet, but it worked fine with earlier R80.x versions as well.

0 Kudos
Sanjay_S
Advisor
Thanks Lari for the information. I will go through the upgrade guide and will get back in the conversation in case of any doubts.
Thanks Again 🙂
0 Kudos
Tsahi_Etziony
Employee
Employee

Hey @Sanjay_S,

Maybe using CDT will make the upgrade process even easier. CDT will do it automatically - it will take care of cluster upgrades and operate both CPUSE and vsx_util on its own. 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events