cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post a Question

Clean install vs upgrade

Is there any SK or documentation page, where would be summarized benefits of clean installation vs upgrade via CPUSE ?

7 Replies
Jerry
Gold

Re: Clean install vs upgrade

If I remember well I don't think there is any but I might be mistaken.

Pros and Cons are always out there. Fresh install is always recommended but not always possible from obvious reasons, however should you have any chance and opportunities to make it "fresh" I would strongly encourage you to do that. Instead upgrade_path is also not-that-complicated though, it all depends what are you upgrading "from" and how much data need to be "migrated" to the new environment.

Upgrade via CPUSE can be tricky and not always the best way going forward. It all depends on many factors and how much time you've got to have all tasks completed.

In my personal opinion migration (called upgrade) to new Management is most likely to be the most complicated one.

Migration however of new "gateway" - can be bypassed by installing a new one instead. As I said - it all depends.

Tell us more about what you'd like to migrate/install-fresh so we can elaborate a little bit more on that.

Jerry

Jerry

In case of management servers, there is no doubt that clean install is better. My question is aiming on gateway upgrades from r77.30 to r80.10

0 Kudos
Jerry
Gold

great. in that case there is 1 sk if I recon ... I've used sk107042 for ClusterXL (HA) VSX as well as Standalone R77.30.

Let me see if there are more such sk's ...

Jerry
0 Kudos
Jerry
Gold

plus very well known PDF from

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.10/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.10_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...

should be ok but I'll keep searching for you if you like Smiley Happy 

Jerry
0 Kudos
Jerry
Gold

don't forget to get trough sk111841 btw. it is important to have  all pre-reqs in hande before starting "production" migration. just my last 5 cents.

hope you'll ok with those sk's/pages. all the best !

Jerry
0 Kudos
Admin
Admin

One reason to "clean install" R80.20.M1 is to use the xfs filesystem.

Clean installs are also useful for practicing upgrades, upgrading hardware, and other similar activities.

Employee+
Employee+

With CPUSE upgrades you benefit of having your configuration migrated automatically to the new version, plus you get an automatic snapshot of the old version in case you want to revert the upgrade. the content of /var/log is also kept for the new version.

Anything that is not performed by the upgrade and makes you want to prefer a fresh install is considered a bug in the upgrade process and this is something we should and will fix. 

The only reason I'd recommend a fresh install is what Dameon wrote - taking advantage of the new xfs file system. CPUSE upgrade can't migrate the file system so ext3 is still being used after the upgrade.