cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chinmaya_Naik
Advisor

Smartconsole GUI, Gateway show 100% CPU but CLI show below 20%

Hi Checkmates,

R81.20 Management Server manages 7 R81.20 gateways.

R81.20 Smatconsole GUI client so 100 % CPU utilization randomly on any of the firewall but when I verify via CLI it show normal CPU like below 20%.

I crossed verified with CPVIEW history but not observed any high CPU. 

CPU utilization: verified as normal through CLI, cpview, and SmartView Monitor.
Connection load: Very low (below 200 concurrent connections where peak is 185).
Memory utilization: normal on both the gateway and management server.
Disk utilization: not observed.

Focusing on the SmartConsole GUI:

Given that all other indicators and tools show normal operation, the issue is most likely isolated to the SmartConsole GUI itself.

I continue trusting the CLI, cpview, and SmartView Monitor data over the SmartConsole GUI for performance metrics.

The SmartConsole GUI issue is almost certainly a display 100 % utilization on some sec  rather than reflecting actual high CPU usage when verify via CLI.

The discrepancy is likely due to a display issue or bug in the SmartConsole GUI, so to resolve this, I installed the recommanded hotfix take_84 (GAIA OS:R81.20) with the latest smartconsole GUI client, but the issue remains the same.

Kindly suggest your view please.

regards

@Chinmaya_Naik 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

The CPU usage of SmartConsole on a client machine does not directly affect the CPU usage of the Security Management Server.

You would need to narrow down the cases where the CPU of SmartConsole is very high and stays that way for a long period of time.

However, there are some indirect ways in which SmartConsole operations can impact the Management Server's performance:

Indirect Impacts of SmartConsole on the Management Server

1. Policy Installation:

When you use SmartConsole to install policies, it triggers processes on the Management Server that can consume CPU and memory resources.

2. Logging and Monitoring:

If SmartConsole is used to perform extensive logging and monitoring activities, it can increase the load on the Management Server as it processes and stores log data.

3. Database Operations:

Operations such as searching, querying, and modifying objects in the database through SmartConsole can lead to increased CPU usage on the Management Server.

4. Concurrent Connections:

Multiple SmartConsole clients connected to the Management Server simultaneously can increase the overall load on the server.

0 Kudos
Chinmaya_Naik
Advisor

Hi @Tal_Paz-Fridman 

Thanks for the update

Let me clear you

Smartconsole not show high CPU , smartconsole access is not an issue.

Smartconosole show any of the gateway as high CPU (100%) randomly.

smartconsole GUI High CPU gayewa.jpg

But at the same time, Firewall CLI show normal CPU below 20%.

0 Kudos
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Thank you for the clarification. The data displayed in Gateways & Servers is accurate but may represent information from a few seconds prior.

To get a more precise view, it’s recommended to capture CPview data from the minute before SmartConsole shows 100%. Generally, CPview data in the CLI provides a more accurate real-time reflection of current activity. However, if you notice a discrepancy lasting more than a few seconds, it may be best to contact TAC for further assistance

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events