Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alias
Contributor

Problem while installing upgrade tools - Cannot detect the version of the installed upgrade tools.

Hi Mates,

we are trying to Upgrade our Management Server from 80.20 to 80.40 with a migration of the hardware as the old server is a bit on the weak side. We want to keep the same IP and basically just switch from the old one to the new one once the migration is done

For this we set up a new machine in a testing environment that is separated from our production system and has no internet connection. We are following the guide "Installation and Upgrade Guide R80.40.pdf" which references sk135172.

We got the file "ngm_upgrade_wrapper_994000411_1.tgz" for target version R80.40 and made sure to have an up to date Deployment Agent (build: 2101).

However, when we try to import the UpgradeTool package we get this error:

Install of package ngm_upgrade_wrapper_994000411_1.tgz Failed
Cannot detect the version of the installed upgrade tools.

The same happens when we try to import it via clish.

The only reference I was able to find is in this post: Check Point R80.40 has been released!, but the solution "Reboot after applying the license fixed it" doesn't seem to work for me.

Can anybody explain what the problem is please?

Cheers

D

16 Replies
Collaborator

Hi!

Just to understand correctly, you are trying to import this package on the R80.20 machine?

Which hotfix is currently installed?

0 Kudos
Alias
Contributor

Hey,

no, we are trying to import in on the target server, which is the 80.40.

We've been following the  Installation and Upgrade Guide R80.40.pdf from page 251.

We got to Point 3: Install a new R80.40 Security Management Server. For that we downloaded the Check_Point_R80.40_T294 file and installed the server. Worked without a problem

Where we are stuck is Point 4: Get the required Upgrade Tools on the target R80.40 server

Cheers

D

Collaborator

Oh okay,now I understand!

Is it possible that the upgrade tools are already installed on the management?

Could you please share the output of the following command:

cpprod_util CPPROD_GetValue CPupgrade-tools-R80.40 BuildNumber 1

Alias
Contributor

Hey,

The output is this:

cpprod_util CPPROD_GetValue CPupgrade-tools-R80.40 BuildNumber 1
Failed to find the value

I dont think there are any Upgradetools installed yet. If I look in the /opt directory there are no directories for Upgradetools.  If I look at the source machine, I have the directories there

Cheers

D

0 Kudos
Collaborator

Wow now thats weird!, from what you say it really seems that there aren't any upgrade tools installed..

I have two Ideas that could work.

First one is installing the latest Jumbo Hotfix on the Management and see if the upgrade tools install with the update.

Second Idea come from this sk171525 .

There is a similar issue that upgrade tools are not installed and the files don't exist in the /opt directory but in the SK, the "[Expert@Host:0]# cpprod_util CPPROD_GetValue CPupgrade-tools-R80.xx BuildNumber 1" command returns the value 994000342 which shows the "current" verison.

Their solution is to change the "build number" in the registry file to 000000000. What I would try, is follow the SK and edit the BuildNumber to 000000000 and if the key doesn't exist yet, add the whole key to the file, so 

: (CPupgrade-tools-R80.xx
          :CurrentVersion (6.0)
          : (6.0
                  :IsConfigured (1)
                  :BuildNumber (000000000)
          )
)

So I guess that CPUSE checks the registry and if there is no key available, it will just throw your error message.

Maybe this helps, its worth a shot. Just make sure to backup the registry file in case it doesn't work 😉

0 Kudos
Alias
Contributor

Hey, 

I tried both solutions but it is still not working

The installation of the Hotfix didn't do anything at all.

The change in the registry had a small effect but didn't solve it.

My registry looks like this now:

:PackageFile (hcp_wrapper_HOTFIX_HCP_AUTOUPDATE_GA_FULL.tgz)
                                                 :InstallSource (AutoUpdater)
                                      )
                            )
                )
                : (CPupgrade-tools-R80.xx
                          :CurrentVersion (6.0)
                          : (6.0
                                        :IsConfigured (1)
                                        :BuildNumber (000000000)
                          )
                   )
             )
       )
)

I get this output:

cpprod_util CPPROD_GetValue CPupgrade-tools-R80.xx BuildNumber 1

But when I try to import the Tool package I still get the same error 😞

Collaborator

**bleep** alright that didn't work at all, sorry! I will try to replicate your issue in a VM later this afternoon and post feedback once I know more.

0 Kudos
Collaborator

So I just installed a new Mgmt server and was only able to recreate the issue partially. I first installed the latest Deployment Agent, didn't reboot, tried to import the UpgradeTools and it failed. Performed a reboot, tried to import the Upgrade Tools again and it worked. I now have /opt/CPupgrade-tools-R80.40/ . So my only guess is that you haven't rebooted your machine after installing the Deployment Agent, if that doesn't fix it I would contact TAC or try the solution posted below

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

K, do this...go to $FWDIR/bin/upgrade_tools on your R80.40 server, copy EVERYTHING there and move it to R80.20 server to say /var/log/R80.40_upgrade_tools (just create that dir in /var/log)and then just do chmod 777* to give full permissions. At this point, on R80.20, navigate to /var/log/R80.40_upgrade_tools and run this -> ./migrate export R80.20_migration (or give it any name you like) and once finished, simply copy that file to $FWDIR/bin/upgrade_tools on R80.40 server and run ./migrate import R80.20_migration.tgz (or whatever filename is when is generated on R80.20).

I know there is newer sk about migrateserver (I think), but I ALWAYS do it way I described and never ever had a problem (I ust have done it at least 50 times, minimum). The trick is really to ensure you have newest migrations tools copied from the higher version you are going to into the lower you are migrating from.

Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Once you go past R80.40, you need to use the new migration tools.
They still exist in R81+ (if I recall correctly) but they are not formally supported.
That said, they do exist in R80.40, and could still be used, but you would have to take the export again using the old tools.

Just to verify with @Alias you're referring to the procedure documented here: https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.40/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.40_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...

At this point I suggest a TAC case.

Alias
Contributor

Hey,

thank you all for your help!

@PhoneBoy : yeah, that is the guide I am following. I am using the next chapter though (Upgrading ... with migration) instead of the one you linked to (Upgrading ... with Advanced Upgrade). The differences seem to be only for the 2 last steps in the guide (Disconnecting and Connecting)

@the_rock : thanks, I will look into this

@796570686578: I don't remember if I restarted immediately after installation but by now I have done it a bunch of times and it didn't change anything

I think I am going to try the approach the_rock recommended and see if it helps. If it doesn't I might just start over and install it again. Maybe I'll try the 81 version and see if it runs

Cheers

D

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Please re-download the upgrade tools package using Edge and attempt to import it again.

I have recently run into the issue that tgz downloaded with Chrome and Firefox even with verified hash could not be successfully imported.

Alias
Contributor

Hey All,

thank you all for your advice! Unfortunately we are still stuck 😞

So, after I tried the tipps and nothing worked we decided to just give up on 80.40 and go directly to 81. 

It is the same problem there! What in the ...

Basically, we

- downloaded the iso

- installed the gaia

- went throught the initial setup

- updated deployment tools - didnt work from GUI, had to follow this guide: 
https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Security-Gateways/Deployment-Agent-Offline-Install-Failed-to-ext... 

We are here now:  Deployment Agent build: 2101  |  R81 take 392

So, I downloaded the Upgrade tools (ngm_upgrade_wrapper_995000528_1.tgz) and I get the same error message:

However, things are a bit different now. First, I have an Upgrade Tools directory 

drwxr-x--- 7 admin bin 93 Sep 2 17:06 CPupgrade-tools-R81

Second, and even more infuriating is when I try to import via CLI: 

[Expert@fw:0]# cpprod_util CPPROD_GetValue CPupgrade-tools-R81 BuildNumber 1

fw> installer import local /tmp/TMP/ngm_upgrade_wrapper_995000528_1.tgz
Preparing package for import. This operation might take a few moments
Note: The selected package will be copied into CPUSE repository
Info: Initiating import and install of ngm_upgrade_wrapper_995000528_1.tgz...
Interactive mode is enabled. Press CTRL + C to exit (this will not stop the operation)
Result: Install of package ngm_upgrade_wrapper_995000528_1.tgz Failed

What the flying **bleep**!? Could this be a permission problem? I dont get it

Hope it makes more sense to you guys than to me 😕

Cheers,
D

0 Kudos
Liat_Cihan
Employee
Employee

Hey,

I am sorry for your bad experience. 

I will contact you offline and try to assist.

Liat

Alias
Contributor

Hey,

first of all thank you all and specifically Liat and her team, who were able to sort it out.

The problem seems to have been a corrupted ngm_upgrade_wrapper file. Somehow in between the Checkpoint Servers and my destination machine the file got bad.

The solution was to take the 81. Upgrade tools, that were already on the source server and copy them over to the destination machine. After that the import through the WebUi worked without a hitch

Cheers

D

0 Kudos
RS_Daniel
Advisor

Hello,

We recently ran upgrade tools with same message. Also had problems with DA 2021. Trying to unzip the package on windows says the files are corrupted, of course tried download tens of times from support center but the error message persisted. Contacted TAC, they provided those two files fro their own repository and worked perfectly. I think the files in the support center repositories should be changed. HTH.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events